Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Vwbugs

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 pm

So, it's heading into winter and I stumbled upon a ant colony with a queen while stripping some wood off a trailer I just bought. I had just started watching AC a few weeks ago and was considering trying my luck next year. Needless to say, I have what I am guessing a camponotus with about 40 workers including what I think is some majors. Not sure where to go from here as they should be settled in for hibernation. Need help... Lol

SYUTEO

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Yesterday i caught a Meranoplus queen, i never keeped this species before, so technically i know almost nothing about them does anyone here know how to keep this species? And are they semi claustral?

SHADOW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm
Yesterday i caught a Meranoplus queen, i never keeped this species before, so technically i know almost nothing about them does anyone here know how to keep this species? And are they semi claustral?
Nope they are fully claustral.
My youtube channel-[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpsu4J-hVsou_RF_U4oJ2rw
[/youtube]

ArizonanAnts

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Hey guys!

I checked on what I think is a Minimorium Minimum and all of her eggs are larvae!!! Hopefully, in about 2 weeks we will see workers! The Solenopsis ant that I have seems to have about 30 to 40 eggs but no larvae. I did catch both of these on the same day so it makes sense that the Solenopsis will take a little more time to develop.

My 3 Forleius Pruinosis ants are doing well. They have a few clutches but no real progress yet. They still have 2 workers with their gasters like ballons :lol: now it's just a matter of time for them to mass produce :D

Stay safe, wear a mask.

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 am

Hi i live in florida and i have C.Floridinas, B.depalis, S.invicta and two dead colony of S.Gemanata and P.pencilvanica

ArizonanAnts

Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 am

Welcome to the Campo Crew!
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Alaydia

Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Hello again, Crew! Happy to report I've had great success in brumating both of my colonies, woot woot! Followed some great advice to move the colonies to gradually cooler areas and popped them, peacefully snoozing, into the fridge just when I stopped seeing native ants outside. Since I keep C. Penns and outside are C. Penns and C. Novaes, I've got the perfect instructors just outside. While my girls snooze, I'm working out some (evil) plans for how I want their set-ups to be. I expect this spring to be able to make some mini set-ups using my mini nests, as well as have another go at catching and raising a C. Novae colony. But I have big plans for much larger colonies when my girls really get settled in! I love these big black beauties!

Now someone tell me how to convince the Spousal Unit to use his super ***** manly nail-pounding abilities to help me set up ant superhighways all through my house? I've got time.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

CabboAntsGuy

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am

Hello Everyone, It's been a while since i've been on, I had kinda given up for a bit on keeping ants, but somehow, despite my lack of attendance to my colony, they appear to have more workers and eggs. I admit, that it has been a while since i've fed them anything, but somehow, it appears they've grown. I don't get how they could make something out of nothing, the only solution i could think of is cannabalism, but then, i didn't know if ants did that to their own colony. Any info would be helpful, i'm not really asking a question, just wanna see what you guys think about it.
Also Alaydia, about those highways, if you just bought a bunch of plastic or polyester tubing, you could hang it up using some sort of device, and have your colony all around the house, but if your only colony is a C. Penn colony, in my expierence they are not far travelers. you could try it, if you have a bigger colony then they might travel.

I hope to be on here some more, but until next time, stay safe and have fun!
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Alaydia

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:15 pm

I have a couple of C. Penns and will hopefully add another C. Novae once spring nuptual flights come along. So I plan on having three separate, different set-ups. So far, all the Spousal Unit has said is that if they escape into the house I'm in serious trouble. Not worried!

As to your ants, I have to admit, I cringed to find you're not feeding your pets. With respect, even insects are living creatures and to starve them is cruel. If you don't want to care for them, may I suggest either freeing them (if they're native) or offering them to someone else? Reasonably certain you'd find an interested party in these forums.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:23 am

Yes I understand that, and i am sorry for it, but now i wonder so late into hibernation if they will eat anything i put in. I'm not trying to starve them, I know that's wrong.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566