Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

catsandants

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 pm

There is not a lot better that you can do but do very to keep them in the dark and give a better source of water maybe a small tupperware filled with water and the top blocked with a cotton ball?
Ants are the best and they is cute

catsandants

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Why has no one posted since
may?
Ants are the best and they is cute

SYUTEO

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 am

catsandants wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Why has no one posted since
may?
Probably because everyone moved to a different ant forum.

ridgewalker

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone might give a recommendation for a new ant formicarium. My camponutus penn. colony is doing well. However, my antworld formicarium is starting to fall apart. The little 3D print watering system broke. The ants have moved out into the test tube drinking area instead. And that water is starting to turn green. They have some large larva growing. I believe they have around 50 ants plus larva. Wondering which formicarium might be a good match for these guys.
Thanks for your help

AM1C39

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am

You should have a look at the wakooshi store: https://www.wakooshi.com/.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Kimochiru

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi all. I have a situation regarding Camponotus ants and I'd like some advice.

In the family backyard, a colony of C. penn carpenter ants have made a nest within our deck. They have chewed through the wood, and my family wants to kill them. I want to capture these ants to prevent them from being killed, and then keep them around as pets, as I love observing ants in the wild and would like to keep my own colonies. It seems like it will be a very difficult task!

Do you have any advice on how to capture the colony of ants? I've heard of a lemon-water mixture that can force ants out of a nest, but apparently it nets mixed-results. The colony has a nest entrance in wood, so I have no ideas for how to get them out otherwise.

I also intend to make a good formicarium for the ants, what are things that would particularly help a Camponotus species feel at home?

I'm aware some people consider harvesting wild established colonies unethical, but for this situation I think it can be an exception.

I will be heading off to university in a few months, and I know they will not take care of the colony when I am gone, but there is a nearby forest that the colony can move to so I can release them there.

CombinedHalo467

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:44 pm

i live in wisconsin and i am a newbie ant keeper i recently found three camponotus novaeboracensis queens with brood under a board and brought them home anyone hv any suggestions on care and also i want to make a supercolony if it can be done howwould i go about it
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:46 pm

kimochiru i found mine under a damp and slightly rotting board consider that or maybe a flat rock they can dig under good luck
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:47 pm

kimochiru i found mine under a damp and slightly rotting board consider that or maybe a flat rock they can dig under good luck

Ants Are Awesome

Sheljay888

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:00 pm

So 4 nights ago I had a ton of camponatus pennsylvanicus super majors all around the front of my house (got some really good pics of thief ant workers tryn to flex, mandibles open, to a super major while they were drinking honey). Lay down about an hour later and found a lone queen (pretty sure pennsylvanicus) walking across my bed! It scared the crap outta me.I never realized they were so big. Thought my friend threw one of those plastic ones on my bed to screw with me. This is her next to my immagrins queens https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8d1xixiU5ubNfRS6 the issue is she is huge and she can, but barely, turn around in the test tube. She hasn't layed any eggs yet and I'm worried that when she does she's not gonna be able to take care of them or get stressed and eat em. Is she fine since she is able to turn or do I need to move her to something bigger?