Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 pm
sartwell90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:55 am
CANant wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:50 am
I’m probably older then all of you haha 🤫 I won’t say unless you guess.
Just think of us in terms of a worker ant, we must seem like Goliath ancients. Even their own queen would seem like a practically-ageless goddess, watching over and giving life to their civilization for generations.

I think there could be an interesting anthropomorhpological fictional book to be written there. Each entry following a generation of the same colony belonging to an ant keeper.
I've thought of writing a book from an ants perspective before. And, no, we are not going to put you in an old folks home. I don't want to be thought of as a young guy around here. That's why I never shared my age before. I still want to be thought of as a helpful part of the group, not a young kid here asking questions and being annoying. Nothing has changed Now that I've told you how old I am. I'm still CabboAntsGuy. :D
I completely agree with you. I also want to be a helpful part of the group. So just consider me like a friend that you work with.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Kherafox

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:29 pm

I think there could be an interesting anthropomorhpological fictional book to be written there. Each entry following a generation of the same colony belonging to an ant keeper.
I've thought of writing a book from an ants perspective before.
omg I could probably totally do a short story with aliens based on ant-like behaviors, xenobiology and sociology! That's tempting. I might mangle some of the terms or how they actually do react (earth-ant-insects) but they'd be aliens so they'd have their own way of doing things! HMMmmm!
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

CANant

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:32 pm

jojofire12 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 pm
My ants continue to grow I think we have 8-9 now it's hard to tell. Anyway, they haven't left the test tube and are now extremely huddled near the cotton ball, the water is starting to run low and I don't know what to do. They also won't eat any of the things I gave them besides the honey (A freshly boiled wasp, peanut, raisin, peanut butter, cotton ball with sugar water, and now cat food (dry)). I've had them for a couple of months I think at this point and they show no sign of wanting to leave the tube, can't tell if the queen is stressed or if she thinks her colony is too small.
Well it seems like you are doing very well. She wouldn’t have 8-9 workers if you were doing something wrong. Congratulations! They will be comfortable in that tube until next year at least. They aren’t a big enough colony to be venturing too far from the queen quite yet. Maybe offer a bit of food (protein and Sugar water) close to the tube entrance. Keep it a variety like you are but don’t leave it sit too long. I remove my proteins within 24-36hrs if they haven eaten it.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:35 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
sartwell90 wrote:
CANant wrote:
Just think of us in terms of a worker ant, we must seem like Goliath ancients. Even their own queen would seem like a practically-ageless goddess, watching over and giving life to their civilization for generations.

I've thought of writing a book from an ants perspective before. And, no, we are not going to put you in an old folks home. I don't want to be thought of as a young guy around here. That's why I never shared my age before. I still want to be thought of as a helpful part of the group, not a young kid here asking questions and being annoying. Nothing has changed Now that I've told you how old I am. I'm still CabboAntsGuy. :D
Age doesn’t mean anything when it comes to keeping ants. This is why this crew is so awesome!
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

sartwell90

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
sartwell90 wrote:
CANant wrote:

I've met 40-year-old 'children' before and 12-year-olds that are wise and mature far beyond their years. Individual experiences and our actions are what define us in my opinion, while age simply serves as a convenient base-line of what to expect from someone you don't know better.

Personally, I treat someone almost exclusively based on my experiences and interactions with them and often err on the side of leniency since you never know what someone has had to put up with or experienced in their life.
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

Kherafox

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I've met 40-year-old 'children' before and 12-year-olds that are wise and mature far beyond their years. Individual experiences and our actions are what define us in my opinion, while age simply serves as a convenient base-line of what to expect from someone you don't know better.

Personally, I treat someone almost exclusively based on my experiences and interactions with them and often err on the side of leniency since you never know what someone has had to put up with or experienced in their life.
*highfive* You summed it up perfectly.
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

ArizonanAnts

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm

CANant wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:35 pm
CabboAntsGuy wrote:
sartwell90 wrote:

Age doesn’t mean anything when it comes to keeping ants. This is why this crew is so awesome!
Sooooo true thank you :)
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CANant

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 pm

sartwell90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm
CabboAntsGuy wrote:
sartwell90 wrote:

Well said Sartwell90! Couldn’t agree more.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks guys, I'm really happy that nothing has changed and you all are so cool. I mean, this really is a cool page with a lot of cool people.
And I totally agree with you sartwell. Again, thanks. See you guys later. :D

StirTheFire
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Kherafox

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Yay, I got my pack of bits of AC gear! well, "gear"... got a pack of tubes (was using 4" plant water picks... not enough room for long once workers show up), pack of plugs and a test tube portal.

Should tape be enough to secure the main body of the portal's lid to the portal? For those of you who have/had one.

Either she laid more eggs or her brood are visibly growing, Helena's brood pile is bigger than her head now! :D