Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Vwbugs

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Do C chromaiodes and C pennsilvanis dig tunnels in soil? I put some C pennsilvanis that I caught while splitting wood and they are having trouble digging. I'm thinking it's the soil I chose but making sure before i set up another for my chromaiodes with different dirt. The pennsilvanis has been extremely active but unfortunately I don't think I got the queen.

Vwbugs

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:28 pm

The main issue is that the tunnels keep caving in it's basically all broken down humus.

AM1C39

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm

You should pack the dirt in a little and maybe put small bits of wood in.
My current colonies:
The miniature military(formica neogagates)
the power of war(camponotus novaeborecensis)
the black hearts(crematogaster cerasi
the blazing nation(Myrmica alaskensis)

Vwbugs

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:42 pm

So, it appears that a C pennsilvanis colony hibernates in different nests and that elate queens also hibernate through the winter. I gathered a group last week while splitting wood and was bummed because I really dont think I found the queen. Today I found 2 more groups but one looked like they had drowned. There was several elate queens in both groups I found and so the second group I gathered as best as could. I put a few workers in the first group I caught to see if they were compatible. They were so I put an elate in and I saw a worker grab her by the head and lead her in. The rest dived into the nest as I put them in.

Vwbugs

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:44 pm

So now I have to keep checking the wood I split so that I can potentially find the queen

Vwbugs

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Can 2 C pennsylvanicus colonies live within 10 feet of each other? Both have about 1 to 2 hundred workers. I caught another group splitting wood tonight and so I dumped them in together but i saw some being dragged into the nest and looked like some might be fighting. I scooped them back out. The wood has been in the same pile for about 2 years.

ArizonanAnts

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:48 am

What I read on the ant wiki says that C. penn. are monogynous meaning the colonies have one queen. It is possible that they are fighting because of this. I hope this helps :)
Keeper of

3 Forelius Pruinosis (All queens are together)
Queen Name: Azucar Forelia II (Check the Forelius Clan), Florencia, Zulca Rosa
IDK what Stage: ~30 eggs, 0 larvae, 0 pupae, 2 workers

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

taeseonrise

Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:01 pm

I just received my first ant colony, camponotus chromaiode, it's currently in a test tube set up and about 20-25 workers strong so I wanted to go ahead and move them into a formicarium (specifically I have a camponotus hybrid nest and an outworld for them). I've done a bunch of research and pretty much everything is saying that it's necessary to hibernate this species in the winter and the colony will show signs of when they're starting to slow down, except it doesn't seem like mine is because the queen is still laying eggs and the workers are pretty active. I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and move them into their setup or keep them in their test tube until it warms up a bit more.
I have a heating cable for their setup and the room they'll be kept in will stay consistently warm throughout the season so I'm not sure if they'll enter hibernation at all? I also live in southern North Carolina if that's important, in my area it hasn't been consistently cold and some days the temp will still be in the mid-high 70s and about low 40s at night.
Any advice about moving them and what to do about hibernation is greatly appreciated !

Vwbugs

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 pm

My colony of c pennsylvanicus jumps into action once it starts warming up. Once I finish making their new home I will put them in the basement for more consistent cold temp.

AM1C39

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 am

taeseonrise wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:01 pm
I just received my first ant colony, camponotus chromaiode, it's currently in a test tube set up and about 20-25 workers strong so I wanted to go ahead and move them into a formicarium (specifically I have a camponotus hybrid nest and an outworld for them). I've done a bunch of research and pretty much everything is saying that it's necessary to hibernate this species in the winter and the colony will show signs of when they're starting to slow down, except it doesn't seem like mine is because the queen is still laying eggs and the workers are pretty active. I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and move them into their setup or keep them in their test tube until it warms up a bit more.
I have a heating cable for their setup and the room they'll be kept in will stay consistently warm throughout the season so I'm not sure if they'll enter hibernation at all? I also live in southern North Carolina if that's important, in my area it hasn't been consistently cold and some days the temp will still be in the mid-high 70s and about low 40s at night.
Any advice about moving them and what to do about hibernation is greatly appreciated !
Whatever you do the ants should be fine.
My current colonies:
The miniature military(formica neogagates)
the power of war(camponotus novaeborecensis)
the black hearts(crematogaster cerasi
the blazing nation(Myrmica alaskensis)