Hawkeye

Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Admin Note:
This is the old topic. Please continue here:
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21893

Original Post:

Hi there!

Whether you are an experienced ant keeper, or completely new, we'd love to hear from you!
Please use this thread to ask questions, keep us updated on the progress of your colonies, share information on suitable setups and much more!

We're happy to help, eager to find out about your experiences and generally up for a laugh!

I'll ask the other members of our little Camponotus Crew to introduce themselves, but let me start by listing my own colonies:

I currently have 2 Camponotus ligniperda Queens and 4 Lasius niger Queens. I am quite new to keeping ants, but I've done a lot of research and plan to build a huge natural setup which I aspire to become a small (mostly) self-sustaining biotope.

CANant

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 pm

What a great idea Hawkeye!

Hello Camponotus Crew!!

I’m totally blown away by how “big” ant keeping has become, by the knowledge and information now available, and by how many awesome people there are all over the world keeping ants (so many different species too).

I guess it’s safe to say I have always been fascinated with ants in general. I have dabbled with ant keeping (specifically Camponotus) but I stopped for many years because of repeated failures and not having a clue why.
Strangely enough I very randomly came across an AntsCanada video. I found myself binge watching and have been researching since. I’m pretty certain I have discovered why I was repeatedly failing so I thought why not give this another serious shot.

I live near Toronto, Ontario (Canada). I am currently keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen. Yes, just one...at least for now haha. I found her June 29 (well she actually found me haha- meant to be I think). She is in an AntsCanada tube setup and has 15-16 eggs now. They have started their larvae stage! So exciting and will definitely keep posting updates and look forward to hearing from everyone and following your updates!

For anyone interested: I am using the AntsCanada ‘All You Need’ Camponotus Hybrid 2.0 Gear Pack™ for my setup.

Here’s my beautiful Queen and her brood.
This image is from July 19th.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Camponotus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 am

Hello. Im from Croatia and I keep C. Fallax and L. Niger ants

Camponotus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 am

CANant wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 pm
What a great idea Hawkeye!

Hello Camponotus Crew!!

I’m totally blown away by how “big” ant keeping has become, by the knowledge and information now available, and by how many awesome people there are all over the world keeping ants (so many different species too).

I guess it’s safe to say I have always been fascinated with ants in general. I have dabbled with ant keeping (specifically Camponotus) but I stopped for many years because of repeated failures and not having a clue why.
Strangely enough I very randomly came across an AntsCanada video. I found myself binge watching and have been researching since. I’m pretty certain I have discovered why I was repeatedly failing so I thought why not give this another serious shot.

I live near Toronto, Ontario (Canada). I am currently keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen. Yes, just one...at least for now haha. I found her June 29 (well she actually found me haha- meant to be I think). She is in an AntsCanada tube setup and has 15-16 eggs now. They have started their larvae stage! So exciting and will definitely keep posting updates and look forward to hearing from everyone and following your updates!

For anyone interested: I am using the AntsCanada ‘All You Need’ Camponotus Hybrid 2.0 Gear Pack™ for my setup.

Here’s my beautiful Queen and her brood.
This image is from July 19th.
The queen is sooo pretty. Im sad I couldn't find one of the biggest ant spicies in Europe and my favourite C. Vagus (you can google it). I found a colony abd watched them having 3 nuptial flights and nothing. I'm not sure but i think they pause this month and next one will have one more nuptial flight (My last chance)
Just to say I love my C. Fallax queen but I'm still sad.

Camponotus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 am

Hello here is update on my C. Fallax queen. She has 3 small larvae.

https://m.imgur.com/a/wBR1aT3

In the top right corner on thr first picture you can see larva

CANant

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am

Hi Camponotus! Welcome!

Your queen is beautiful! I can understand you wanting a vagus queen. I had my heart set on herculeanus or novaeboracensis. Pennsylvanicus is pretty common but she is still awesome!

Check out this video guys!!

https://www.revolvy.com/page/This-might-just-be-the-world%2526%2339;s-LARGEST-ANT-%21%21%21?smv=xO6Jm2lvTcw&stype=videos
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Camponotus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

I saw it. I watch Exotic Lairs :D

CANant

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:43 am

Oh I didn’t know and found him on Youtube. Haha this one is funny (hope he caught all the ants). I like keeping them but I certainly don’t want them loose in my house!
https://youtu.be/zH-pNOPU8Bc

Here’s his link to the original video on YouTube of the Giant Forest Ant Queen. Ugh I want one! Lol I’m sure we don’t have them in Canada though.
https://youtu.be/xO6Jm2lvTcw

Video credit to Exotic Liars.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Camponotus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm

He doesn't keep ants only tarantulas. I was so mad when he left that queen :D

CANant

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Camponotus wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm
He doesn't keep ants only tarantulas. I was so mad when he left that queen :D
Haha ya me too!
He was pretty upset and kept mentioning Mikey in the video where the ants got into his house and his tarantula containers.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️