Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ArizonanAnts

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am
Nothing inapropriate at least not that I am aware. Do the ants have any special features which can offer inspiration?
They LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE sugar :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CabboAntsGuy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:55 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am
Nothing inapropriate at least not that I am aware. Do the ants have any special features which can offer inspiration?
They LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE sugar :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Most ants do. :D :lol:
Anyway, hello guys. Kinda got distracted last night watching TV(I know, kinda sad :lol: ).
jojofire12 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 pm
I think I have only one more beginners question, how often do I give my ants food/honey and how do I change/give them water while they live in the test tube setup?
One thing that applies is what species it is. If it is a bigger species, they will eat more. Also, Each of those foods does something different. Water is just necessary, but honey or some form of sugar gives the workers and the queen energy. Protein(crickets, grasshoppers, meat, etc.) are fed to the queen and the larvi. It helps the queen lay more eggs, and it helps the larvi develop.
So the ones you should be asking the question are the ants, they will only eat what ever they can, so you can give them an amount and adjust from there, wether up or down.

Something funny happened when I was removing the cricket from Estrella's tube today. At first some of the workers would go out to see what it was, and then rush back to the queen. Then after it was out the queen went out in front. I'm thought " really, you're sending out your queen first, the key to you survival." it was just sort of funny.
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:32 pm
Now do any of you have any suggestions for a Forelius Colony Name? (Nothing Inapproriate) (Hawkeye) If you do Please reply to me thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
I'm not really sure. It's kinda a hard name to use. :lol: I'll let you know if I do think of anything. :D

See all of you later.

StirTheFire
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

CANant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:45 am

Kherafox wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm
Yay, I got my pack of bits of AC gear! well, "gear"... got a pack of tubes (was using 4" plant water picks... not enough room for long once workers show up), pack of plugs and a test tube portal.

Should tape be enough to secure the main body of the portal's lid to the portal? For those of you who have/had one.

Either she laid more eggs or her brood are visibly growing, Helena's brood pile is bigger than her head now! :D
Hey Kherafox! I don’t tape my portal. It fits pretty snug so I’m not worried about it falling off. If you have to lift it double and then triple check no ants are hiding in the centre or top and bottom edges. I opened it once when I thought it was vacant and one farted out to freaking fast. It was very hard to catch her but finally she ran back in. Fewh!

When the bottom of the portal was getting too dirty I switched it out with the other one or took a moist Q-tip and cleaned it up.

The portal is great! Bonus it’s easy to change out water and sugar water tubes.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:52 am

Hey everyone! Check out my journal for an update on my colony.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Kherafox

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 pm

I don’t tape my portal. It fits pretty snug so I’m not worried about it falling off.
The lid for mine doesn't fit snug, it's more like it's just sitting on top. it's not leaving a crack for them to get out, so it fits like it's supposed to but it's not snug like the tubes are.

I'll probably have a large plastic bin to set the whole setup in so if any escapees happen they can't get far.

Just waiting with anticipation til thursday so I can peek in on my queens. I'm really trying my hardest not to be like a little kid. XD
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

CabboAntsGuy

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Kherafox wrote:
I don’t tape my portal. It fits pretty snug so I’m not worried about it falling off.
The lid for mine doesn't fit snug, it's more like it's just sitting on top. it's not leaving a crack for them to get out, so it fits like it's supposed to but it's not snug like the tubes are.

I'll probably have a large plastic bin to set the whole setup in so if any escapees happen they can't get far.

Just waiting with anticipation til thursday so I can peek in on my queens. I'm really trying my hardest not to be like a little kid. XD
You calling me a little kid? :lol: Just kidding, my queens hardly even move when I peek in. I do try to space it out though.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

CANant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Kherafox wrote:

Oh :( one of mine fits snugger than the other. Are yours both the same? Well if you’re worried or your ants are very small taping or putting an elastic over it wouldn’t hurt. Good idea about the bin.

Trying not to peek is the biggest challenge of all. I checked weekly. She seems less stressed when I peak now that she has workers as long as I don’t shine a bright light on them or move the setup around then they all scrabble and grab brood haha
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Do any of you use a heat cable? I just bought the zoomed 15 watt and I’m finding it gets too hot. Like up to 107 F hot 🥵
I have the tube near it but it’s at least an inch away from them and it’s still reaching 87-90 closest to the wire.
I’m very concerned I’m going to cook my ants and the brood. They definitely don’t like it so I’ve been putting it on and off for intervals.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Kherafox

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:39 am

You calling me a little kid? :lol: Just kidding, my queens hardly even move when I peek in. I do try to space it out though.
lol no that's how I feel while waiting ... I think my crematogaster queen ate her first brood and laid a larger pile of new brood, cause I was checking her daily and she got a bit agitated eventually, but then I was using a bright light to try and look at the egg growth :( That or she concealed the older brood with a bunch of new eggs. A few people chastised me for looking so often and said for sensitive species I have to wait at least once a week, until workers I suppose, when she won't be as skittish. :(
one of mine fits snugger than the other. Are yours both the same? Well if you’re worried or your ants are very small taping or putting an elastic over it wouldn’t hurt.
I only have one portal, good thought on getting a second, when I can. I might end up with more than one colony anyway. Good idea on the rubber band too, but that might mean a bit more jostling, if needing to take off the lid. and yeah I don't have any really big species, right now only crematogaster for sure and solenopsis (I think). I don't want little heart-butts escaping.

I've been watching the feral crematogasters after they drenched the areas with pesticide... they are SO on the defensive right now, little butts almost up against their heads if I get near their hunting path, and one ant with a pupa bigger than it was, refused to let others help or take it, to the point of threatening the other ants. XD
" really, you're sending out your queen first, the key to you survival."
I'm still amused by the one queen sleeping on the cricket leg. :lol:
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

I only have one portal, good thought on getting a second, when I can. I might end up with more than one colony anyway. Good idea on the rubber band too, but that might mean a bit more jostling, if needing to take off the lid.
Oh I have the starter kit so that’s why I have two. I wondered that too about jostling around too much and fiddling with elastics. Electrical tape might be best because you will be able to remove it easily and if it doesn’t stick you can just cut a new piece. The top is full of little tiny holes so try not to cover that too much.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️