Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Isoroku55

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 am

Hi,
to put you in context. I have a camponotus queen with 8 workers, but kinda forgot about them in november and didn't feed them + forgot to put them to colder area for winter. They've eaten some larvae, but overall seems fine. They just don't want to eat anything. I've gave them some honey, not interested, cricket leg... same result. Should I have another month, or try different "meet" mealworm or something like that?
I've moved their test tube inside small box, for easier feeding with less disturbance, they've looked around for a while, found food, went back to their tube and stayed there.
Any advice? (feed or not to feed, that's the question)

CANant

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 am

Isoroku55 wrote:
Hi,
to put you in context. I have a camponotus queen with 8 workers, but kinda forgot about them in november and didn't feed them + forgot to put them to colder area for winter. They've eaten some larvae, but overall seems fine. They just don't want to eat anything. I've gave them some honey, not interested, cricket leg... same result. Should I have another month, or try different "meet" mealworm or something like that?
I've moved their test tube inside small box, for easier feeding with less disturbance, they've looked around for a while, found food, went back to their tube and stayed there.
If it is winter where you are and your ants are from your area they should be in diapause and I would bet that is why they aren’t interested in food much (especially protein) because their internal clock knows they should be in hibernation (diapause). They won’t be developing any brood right now so they really don’t need the protein. They may accept some sugar water but I would definitely make sure they have water at all times.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Isoroku55

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:28 am

CANant wrote:
Isoroku55 wrote:
Hi,
If it is winter where you are and your ants are from your area they should be in diapause and I would bet that is why they aren’t interested in food much (especially protein) because their internal clock knows they should be in hibernation (diapause). They won’t be developing any brood right now so they really don’t need the protein. They may accept some sugar water but I would definitely make sure they have water at all times.
ok thanks :-)

Isoroku55

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:02 am

CANant wrote:
Isoroku55 wrote:
Hi,
ok quick update, changed honey for sugar water, cricket leg for protein jelly and they immediately started to fill their gasters... They're just picky :D I've started to be scared, because they were kinda active for a week or so.

CANant

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 am

Isoroku55 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:02 am
CANant wrote:
Isoroku55 wrote:
Hi,
ok quick update, changed honey for sugar water, cricket leg for protein jelly and they immediately started to fill their gasters... They're just picky :D I've started to be scared, because they were kinda active for a week or so.
Great to hear!
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

ArizonanAnts

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Hey guys!! It is raining here in AZ and just wanted to let you know that I fed my ants a piece of ham and they are tearing it up!! I'm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D super happy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Tzakeran

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Good luck ArizonaAnts! Hope you are successful in finding fertile queens! Same to everyone else on the hunt as well :) Good luck!

Also, my Camponotus, Odontomachus and Formica queens are still kicking. Similar to Arizona Anta, these ladies (Morse so their workers) are gathering up protein for the Queen's and nest. I've been having success with raw honey, small bugs such as Mosquitoes/fruit flies/gnats/baby roaches and boiled egg. They've been eating bother the yoke and white of the egg. ^.^
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

CANant

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:48 am

Tzakeran wrote:
Good luck ArizonaAnts! Hope you are successful in finding fertile queens! Same to everyone else on the hunt as well :) Good luck!

Also, my Camponotus, Odontomachus and Formica queens are still kicking. Similar to Arizona Anta, these ladies (Morse so their workers) are gathering up protein for the Queen's and nest. I've been having success with raw honey, small bugs such as Mosquitoes/fruit flies/gnats/baby roaches and boiled egg. They've been eating bother the yoke and white of the egg. ^.^
Awesome! Glad to hear all are doing well! I’ve been wanting to try feeding my ants boiled egg. So they were eating both the yolk and white parts?

How did the hunt go ArizonaAnts?
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

ArizonanAnts

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 am

CANant wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:48 am
Tzakeran wrote:

Awesome! Glad to hear all are doing well! I’ve been wanting to try feeding my ants boiled egg. So they were eating both the yolk and white parts?

How did the hunt go ArizonaAnts?
I went out on Tuesday and Wednesday but couldn't find anything. It was a little cold but today it is supposed to be about 70's lets see if we find anything. Im hoping for prenolepis imparis
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Hawkeye

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 am

Twizteddezirez wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:55 pm
Hello,

Im going to be completely honest about this. I am very new to this all. I've been doing alot of research about which types of ants are around my area, and which of those kinds are easy for beginners. Camponotus are the modt common luckily. I really want to do this with my 8 yr old son, cause i wanted to when i was his age, but never got to. Seeing him interested, and being so respectful to these insects really showed me an opportunity to make this into a really awesome hobby to do together. I came across this forum while ordering some queen capturing tubes and figured i join. If anyone would like to give some really needed tips, and or advice then feel free. After capturing a queen, i will happily give you guys updates. #antlove
Well welcome to our crew of ant enthusiasts. And how cool you're doing this with your son. Let us know what kind of ant queen you manage to capture?