Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 am

adragondream wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:15 am
adragondream wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:48 am
Hi,

Does anybody know about what kind of biome Camponotus Nicobarensis might like? I want to build a terrarium, but there seems to be a bunch of conflicting information online. Also, are they polygamous or monogamous? While most western sources seem unsure, local sources seem to show that the queens will work together if introduced early.

JZ
C nicobarensis is usually found in tropical rainforests, so they like a rainforest biome. I never kept C niconarensis before but I have seen some people with multi queen Camponotus nicobarensis colonies. But I recommend you to keep your queens in seperate test tubes cause you'll never know if they will fight or not.
Thank you!

Rainforest biomes are quite fun to build. This I will enjoy. (...I sound like a villain) If the Camponotus Nicobarensis is polygamous, it might be nice, since this will help with one of the larger problems with large species, which is a low reproduction rate.

I'm excited XD.

JZ
After some more rummaging around both Western and Chinese forums, I think I have a theory about the question of Camponotus Nicobarensis being either monogamous or polygnous.

There seems to be a pattern where there are a lot of successful cases early on, when queens are introduced before they start laying brood. The queens appear to be polygnous, raising workers and such in their young colony. But, as the colony matures, they start fighting, ending in one remaining queen.

Has anyone seen a large mature Camponotus Nicobarensis colony with multiple queens?

This might explain why there is so much conflicting info online.

Just a theory,
JZ

SYUTEO

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:18 pm

adragondream wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 am
adragondream wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:15 am

C nicobarensis is usually found in tropical rainforests, so they like a rainforest biome. I never kept C niconarensis before but I have seen some people with multi queen Camponotus nicobarensis colonies. But I recommend you to keep your queens in seperate test tubes cause you'll never know if they will fight or not.
Thank you!

Rainforest biomes are quite fun to build. This I will enjoy. (...I sound like a villain) If the Camponotus Nicobarensis is polygamous, it might be nice, since this will help with one of the larger problems with large species, which is a low reproduction rate.

I'm excited XD.

JZ
After some more rummaging around both Western and Chinese forums, I think I have a theory about the question of Camponotus Nicobarensis being either monogamous or polygnous.

There seems to be a pattern where there are a lot of successful cases early on, when queens are introduced before they start laying brood. The queens appear to be polygnous, raising workers and such in their young colony. But, as the colony matures, they start fighting, ending in one remaining queen.

Has anyone seen a large mature Camponotus Nicobarensis colony with multiple queens?

This might explain why there is so much conflicting info online.

Just a theory,
JZ
Very few polygynous Camponotus species have been known, and possibly some of those species may sometimes do something called pleometrosis (multiple queens raise their first brood together then, when the first worker eclosed, they start to fight until only one queen is left alive). Camponotus nicobarensis may do pleometrosis but there are a few people who have a mature colony with multiple queens. But since very few people who have such a colony, it might be best to leave them seperate, just to be safe.

ridgewalker

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Hello Camponotus Crew, it’s been a while. My queens didn’t make it last year. However, today will cleaning out one of my dead honeybee hive boxes. I noticed a colony of black carpenter ants. I collected all that I could. I am hoping I caught the queen. There quite a few super majors. So I don’t really know for certain. I thought I share some pictures, maybe you guys can let me know, if you see a queen or if you think I have just a much of majors.

[url=https://imgur.com/xdzqA36]Image

[url=https://imgur.com/SsRJB7d]Image

AM1C39

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am

It looks like you could have a queen but its hard to tell. If you want to know for sure you can look for a big ant and look closely to see if it has wing scares.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

TMoneyAnts

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 am

Ant Not Eating or producing young
EDIT DELETE POST REPORT THIS POST QUOTE
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:57 pm

Hello, a few days ago I came across a broken log running with large black carpenter ants. Seeing a queen I caught her in a bottle and caught a few workers running around in another. The workers in the other bottle began fighting a killing each other. They just have been a few from different colonies. Either way I slowly introduced the survivors one by one to the queen who they seem to have accepted. They are all not in one test tube set up peacefully. However no young have been produced and I have not witnessed them eat a large amount what could I be doing wrong.

TMoneyAnts

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 am

Must* Now*

AM1C39

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:35 am

You will probably just have to wait till they are adjusted to their new home.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

TMoneyAnts

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:00 pm

They are eating some now but no brood?

Alaydia

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am

I had to share my news here because I know literally no one else will care LOL! About a month ago, I came upon a C. discolor queen. It was way early in the year for her species to be flying, but she had no wings, so I got her just in case and popped her into a test tube. A month went by, nothing, but I kept caring for her, keeping her warm and well out of reach of any naughty kitties or curious dogs. Well today, I checked up on her, and guess what? EGGS AND BROOD!! I'm so excited! Happy happy joy joy bounce bounce bounce!

Granted, she could be laying unfertilized males, but I'll take my pleasures in life where I can get them.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

Jager89

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Alaydia wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am
I had to share my news here because I know literally no one else will care LOL! About a month ago, I came upon a C. discolor queen. It was way early in the year for her species to be flying, but she had no wings, so I got her just in case and popped her into a test tube. A month went by, nothing, but I kept caring for her, keeping her warm and well out of reach of any naughty kitties or curious dogs. Well today, I checked up on her, and guess what? EGGS AND BROOD!! I'm so excited! Happy happy joy joy bounce bounce bounce!

Granted, she could be laying unfertilized males, but I'll take my pleasures in life where I can get them.
lmfao this is the last place i honestly expected to hear a quote from ren and stimpy lol omg i miss that show makes me feel sad for the new generation of kids who will never know the **** of ren and stimpy lol, lol i gotta ask why is Brill-iance censored?