Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kherafox

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Rockster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm
Hello all,
my cork head queen and 8 nanaitics, eggs, larva are in the test tube, I attached an AC portal to make feeding easier, I also attached another water tube, their tube has run dry, but they wont move out to the other tube with water in it, they all seem fine, are eating fine, should I worry about the dry tube?
From what I understand, ants can sense water or food good distance away. I'm sure if they get to a point of needing it, they will explore and sniff it out.

On the topic. how thick are you all making your water-cotton? I think I'm making mine too thick, but the little ones seem to be able, maybe even enjoy, digging small tunnels into the cotton to get to the water soaked layer.
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

Hawkeye

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Hello! I have a question for you all. What should be that sugar to water ratio so that I can feed my ants some sugar water?
I think it's one part sugar one part water. So if you boil a outer of water you should be able to dissolve about a kilo of sugar in it. Double check that though.

Hawkeye

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Ryderw wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm
What do you mean on running the cord out?
like running a electrical cord out of the tank im running a small water pump inside
I'm not quite sure. You could try putting electrical tape around the cord and just spread a whole bunch of fluon or vaseline to keep the ants off. This is just an idea.

If anyone else has an idea... please help.

P.S. we gotta stop posting things at the exact same time. :lol:
Coat the cable with an ant barrier and attach an upside down 'funnel' to it. (Also coated with a barrier)
Alternatively use the water to your benefit. Drill a small hole below the water level (Obviously drain the water before drilling) On the inside of your tank place a small suction cup (with a hole for the cable) run your cable through the cup and the hole (you can use an additional suction cup on the outside) you can then fill the hole with silicone to 'cement' the cable in place. That should be a watertight sollution. And one you can easily hide with some rocks or water plants.

Hawkeye

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 am

Alternatively you could install a small bulkhead and attach a small pipe to it pointing upwards, extended to above the waterline. The water will fill any space in the pipe not utilized by the cable, but will never get above the waterline

Hawkeye

Carpenter keepers unite in our fight!

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 am

Ask not what the Camponotus Crew can do for you...The time has come to gather our forces and face a common threat. Send forth your strongest (super) majors to aid in our quest for our rightful dominance on this forum.

The puny an treacherous Florelius Clan has declared war on our glorious collaboration of Carpenter keepers. They shall face the might and strength of our Camponotus Crew as they suffer their losses on the AC battlefield. Those little critters don't stand a chance against the massive mandibles of our colossal warriors. Together we will rise and obliterate these miniature excuses for ants!

All hail the Camponotus Crew!

:D

Rockster

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm

half a cotton ball is all I use for water tube
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

ArizonanAnts

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Rockster wrote:
Yeah me too. Mostly because I buy jumbo ones so I have to split them in half for them to fit into the AC Test tubes.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

JustABitAntsy

Re: Carpenter keepers unite in our fight!

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Ask not what the Camponotus Crew can do for you...The time has come to gather our forces and face a common threat. Send forth your strongest (super) majors to aid in our quest for our rightful dominance on this forum.

The puny an treacherous Florelius Clan has declared war on our glorious collaboration of Carpenter keepers. They shall face the might and strength of our Camponotus Crew as they suffer their losses on the AC battlefield. Those little critters don't stand a chance against the massive mandibles of our colossal warriors. Together we will rise and obliterate these miniature excuses for ants!

deploys a citronella ant queen

all hail the Forelius Clan!
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

JustABitAntsy

Re: Carpenter keepers unite in our fight!

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Hawkeye wrote:

this is just a joke right?
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

Kherafox

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Rockster wrote:
I've used less than half a jumbo cotton ball and it seems like it's still too dry on the outside. Normal, or weird?

And how long should I leave a frozen thawed tiny moth in with one worker and queen? First protein attempt.
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D