Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:10 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:02 pm
nice colony hawk
Well it's only a queen and 4 workers at this point, but hey they're making progress.

oreoisakitty

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Oh and just in case you're wondering about my Lassius queen, here's her setup:

Somehow, her test tube nearly ran out of water. I added the formicarium and outworld last week and I guess that the increased airflow has dried out the tube. So, I had to tease her a bit today. Normally, I have her test tube, wrapped in cardboard paper, resting beneath the outworld. It is connected by a black rubber connector, which increases the diameter of the test tube to that of the tubes connecting it to the formicarium and outworld.

I took off the wrapping and sure enough she gently picked up all her brood and moved it into the connecting rubbery bit. This gave me the opportunity to take out the cotton (took several tries with several types of tweezers), rinse out the test tube, replenish the water and insert a fresh piece of *** SPAM ***.

I used the hydration chamber to wet the formicarium, applied water to the outworld, added some pieces of apple and the one fruit fly I managed to capture and reconnected all the hoses. I expect her nanitics to eclose in about 3 weeks. I might rearrange the tubes so they have access to an outworld first and the formicarium second. What do you guys think would be wise?
Where'd you get the formicarium?
Owner of a C. us-ca02

C. us-ca02 Journal: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18096

Hawkeye

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:21 pm

It's actually not mine, but from the school I work at. They've bought it at a Dutch website.

oreoisakitty

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:01 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
It's actually not mine, but from the school I work at. They've bought it at a Dutch website.
It looks super cool. I'm preshopping for a formicarium, hoping to find a pretty decent sized one. My queen is not small, and I doubt the workers will be small either, considering how big the pupae is.
Owner of a C. us-ca02

C. us-ca02 Journal: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18096

Hawkeye

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:52 pm

oreoisakitty wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:01 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
It looks super cool. I'm preshopping for a formicarium, hoping to find a pretty decent sized one. My queen is not small, and I doubt the workers will be small either, considering how big the pupae is.
The nest in the picture is for pavement ants, about half the size of yours

QJH2023

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:59 pm

hey guys this years experiment will be attempting to make camponotus Polygynous a test involving 50 campo queens what are your thoughts on it?
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

TheDailyToast

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:53 am

I caught my first queen, a black carpenter ant, last month. She suddenly had a strange purple mold looking thing appear on her cotton, how can I remove it and is it dangerous?

Also, she got stuck in a small glob of horny recently and has struggled in moving her legs and is crossing them like a dead insect would. Please help. Image

Hawkeye

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:47 am

TheDailyToast wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:53 am
I caught my first queen, a black carpenter ant, last month. She suddenly had a strange purple mold looking thing appear on her cotton, how can I remove it and is it dangerous?

Also, she got stuck in a small glob of horny recently and has struggled in moving her legs and is crossing them like a dead insect would. Please help. Image
The mold is most likely not dangerous. Living underground, ants have learned to live with molds. You could always make a 2nd clean testtube setup and connect it directly to the old one. If you want to offer honey to your queen, make it a tiny droplet, use a tootpick to insert it. That way she can't get stuck in a blob. She should be able to clean herself though.

GuyMediocre

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

Also, she got stuck in a small glob of horny recently and has struggled in moving her legs and is crossing them like a dead insect would. Please help.
I had the same problem with my first Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen. Chances are her injuries are not related to the mold or honey and she is under stress. My queen had the same problems where she would curl up her legs and no matter what I did she would always flip onto her back. Sadly, I was forced to release her l because I couldn’t bear to see her in that state anymore.

CabboAntsGuy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 am

Update:
I now have 5 camponotus pennsylvanicus, and two formica subsericea, 3 of the campos are from last year and the formica as well. So far they are all going slow but on their way. I recently had to change the water in one of their tubes and kinda messed up. I lost a few of the queens eggs and I think put her and her worker under a lot of stress. The other part is the worker; she's like deformed. She doesn't stand on her legs, but she can move them, she isn't able to really walk either. She was the first one, so I hope that they aren't all like this. My main colony is doing good, they still mostly stay in the test tube, not wanting to venture out into the ac tower small I have for them. Unfortunately that is where I put there food and honey. I hope that they are actually getting to it. My other campo queen from last year is doing good. I will need to change her test tube too soon because it has a lot of mold, but other than that she has a few pupae and a lot of eggs and larvi.
One of my formica queens has eggs but not much else.
My two new campo queens are doing well. One even has eggs already!

Hope you are all doing well.
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566