Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye
Posts: 1562
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: Almelo

Re: Expantion

Post: # 65354Post Hawkeye
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 am

jojofire12 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am
My ants are now getting a little big for my test tube, what nest should I get? Also, does it HAVE to be the Camponotus type?


Bonus:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZmnjJrtMv8EVpd99 my ants feeding on some sugar water.
Which nest is most suitable depends on the species. No need to be a Camponotus type as you put it. Most of us have a carpenter colony, some have other species too

ArizonanAnts
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Expantion

Post: # 65360Post ArizonanAnts
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 am

jojofire12 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am
My ants are now getting a little big for my test tube, what nest should I get? Also, does it HAVE to be the Camponotus type?


Bonus:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZmnjJrtMv8EVpd99 my ants feeding on some sugar water.
Hey! That's really good to hear. If you don't like the design of the Campo Hybrid Nest then you should get the Formica one. And order it soon so you can get it cheaper and a free ant keeping e-book!
Keeper of

1 Unknown Sp.
Queen Name: Queen Tangy (She is very orange)
Founding Stage: ~55 eggs, maybe 3 or 4 larva, maybe 1 or 2 pupae

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

ArizonanAnts
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65411Post ArizonanAnts
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Hello! I have a question for you all. What should be that sugar to water ratio so that I can feed my ants some sugar water?
Keeper of

1 Unknown Sp.
Queen Name: Queen Tangy (She is very orange)
Founding Stage: ~55 eggs, maybe 3 or 4 larva, maybe 1 or 2 pupae

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

Ryderw
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65412Post Ryderw
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Does anyone have ideas of how to run a cord out of a set up without giving the ants a way out and have it so it doesnt ruin the look of the setup
new keeper

ArizonanAnts
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65413Post ArizonanAnts
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm

What do you mean on running the cord out?
Keeper of

1 Unknown Sp.
Queen Name: Queen Tangy (She is very orange)
Founding Stage: ~55 eggs, maybe 3 or 4 larva, maybe 1 or 2 pupae

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

Kherafox
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 am
Location: South-Central Texas

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65414Post Kherafox
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Hello! I have a question for you all. What should be that sugar to water ratio so that I can feed my ants some sugar water?
I might be doing it wrong, but I just mix a little of the honey or sugar stuff (whatever you use) into the water so it's still very water-like in fluidity but smells like a dollop of honey.
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

ArizonanAnts
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65415Post ArizonanAnts
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Kherafox wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Hello! I have a question for you all. What should be that sugar to water ratio so that I can feed my ants some sugar water?
I might be doing it wrong, but I just mix a little of the honey or sugar stuff (whatever you use) into the water so it's still very water-like in fluidity but smells like a dollop of honey.
Thanks. I will definitely try that.
Keeper of

1 Unknown Sp.
Queen Name: Queen Tangy (She is very orange)
Founding Stage: ~55 eggs, maybe 3 or 4 larva, maybe 1 or 2 pupae

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

Ryderw
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65416Post Ryderw
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm
What do you mean on running the cord out?
like running a electrical cord out of the tank im running a small water pump inside
new keeper

ArizonanAnts
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65417Post ArizonanAnts
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Ryderw wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm
What do you mean on running the cord out?
like running a electrical cord out of the tank im running a small water pump inside
I'm not quite sure. You could try putting electrical tape around the cord and just spread a whole bunch of fluon or vaseline to keep the ants off. This is just an idea.

If anyone else has an idea... please help.

P.S. we gotta stop posting things at the exact same time. :lol:
Keeper of

1 Unknown Sp.
Queen Name: Queen Tangy (She is very orange)
Founding Stage: ~55 eggs, maybe 3 or 4 larva, maybe 1 or 2 pupae

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

Rockster
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 am
Location: Florida

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Post: # 65418Post Rockster
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Hello all,
my cork head queen and 8 nanaitics, eggs, larva are in the test tube, I attached an AC portal to make feeding easier, I also attached another water tube, their tube has run dry, but they wont move out to the other tube with water in it, they all seem fine, are eating fine, should I worry about the dry tube?
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests