Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kherafox

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Sooo, little newbie ant is moving around full speed, nearly full color, or maybe just her own color not sure. I set them up on my desk, with the portal, tiny bit of honey on a piece of foil, straw exit through the cotton into the portal.

The minute I started layering red plastic over the nest tube, the queen (and her worker!) moved all the brood into a small nook in the water-cotton! I think she either has a large larvae or a pupa without any color yet going already. It seems like the worker's help is helping her not want to mess with the brood (eat them) as much.

The worker keeps going back to hover over the brood now and then with the queen, but she's a quick little one! She's looked at the straw exit but not ventured yet. I just hope the teeny smear of honey I put there for now isn't a problem, I put it as flat as I could... if either even go for it.
I need a magnifying glass for better pics, but here's the best I could get.. the brood is to the left of the worker:

Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

Tzakeran

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 am

That's a cool setup you've got there Kherafox. This is an exciting stage! Watching as your colony slowly grows. I've not seen the straw portal trick using in action before. It looks like a good addition to the setup. Happy anting!
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

Kherafox

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:08 am

Tzakeran wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 am
That's a cool setup you've got there Kherafox. This is an exciting stage! Watching as your colony slowly grows. I've not seen the straw portal trick using in action before. It looks like a good addition to the setup. Happy anting!
I don't remember where I saw or read about it, but from what I remember it helps make the queen still feel enclosed, while giving an avenue out. Heck, with the queen being a cremato, instead of campo, she could fit through the straw probably, if she wants to. I just hope I got the other end proper, I can't see it clearly, I think it's just got an overhang of a light layer of fluff, they should be able to get through if they want.

The worker's explored it a few times, just the barest peek into the straw, and done a few loops upside down in the tube around it but not gone foraging. Wants to stay with mama and the siblings. XD
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

ArizonanAnts

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Kherafox wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:01 pm
Sooo, little newbie ant is moving around full speed, nearly full color, or maybe just her own color not sure. I set them up on my desk, with the portal, tiny bit of honey on a piece of foil, straw exit through the cotton into the portal.

The minute I started layering red plastic over the nest tube, the queen (and her worker!) moved all the brood into a small nook in the water-cotton! I think she either has a large larvae or a pupa without any color yet going already. It seems like the worker's help is helping her not want to mess with the brood (eat them) as much.

The worker keeps going back to hover over the brood now and then with the queen, but she's a quick little one! She's looked at the straw exit but not ventured yet. I just hope the teeny smear of honey I put there for now isn't a problem, I put it as flat as I could... if either even go for it.
I need a magnifying glass for better pics, but here's the best I could get.. the brood is to the left of the worker:

It looks like the not peeking for a week or two helped huh? I am so glad that you have your first worker. Are these Saint Valentine ants?
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Kherafox

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:32 pm

I've decided to name the first lil' worker "Joy" because I'm so happy she's finally around, and because she seems to be most interested, or 'assigned' to be a brood nurse. Connecting that to Pokemon (because I'm a nerd), 'Nurse Joy'. Also, apparently (I don't watch it) there's a character in the Worst Witch tv show that takes care of the leader and is second in command that is named Joy.

Joy is now fully darkened! She's as dark as the queen in not-direct light. I don't want to stress them with direct light right now, but they both seem to be focused on the brood.

How long do frozen bugs last? I caught a house moth and froze it last night, but I have a feeling neither of the girls are going to want to eat til at least another joins the waking world. (I think they're tending another pupa now, but no color.)

Hawkeye

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:09 am

If you keep them frozen probably indefinitely

SYUTEO

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 am

I can't believe it, my Camponotus species queen officially has nanitics! She now has two workers. I have been waiting so long for this to happen.

ArizonanAnts

Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
I can't believe it, my Camponotus species queen officially has nanitics! She now has two workers. I have been waiting so long for this to happen.
That super nice to hear!! Have fun :)
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CANant

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Congratulations to everyone with new nanitics! So exciting!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

SYUTEO

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:07 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
That super nice to hear!! Have fun :)
Thanks :) today one of my Camponotus parius queens has a nanitic! I think that my other C parius queen will have a nanitic :D