Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Rockster

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to ants, and quickly becoming addicted :shock: I have 4 AC formicariums, 6 mini AC formicariums, and 6 AC test tube portals, I make my own out worlds. My biggest issue has been patience.
I have 3 pyramid queens, 1 camponotus, 1 trap jaw, 1 Big headed, 1 cork head, and 1 ghost queens
I lost my trap jaw to black crazy ants that got into the top of the container I had her in (no more open tops)
I find the portals to work the best for me. I just introduced my Pheidole with 40 workers to an AC mini yesterday can't wait to check on them this morning. all my queens are doing well except for my camponotus, she had 6 workers I lost 2 when I put her in a container buried in sand, 2 of the workers never found their way back or just died outside the test tube? I removed her from the container and connected to a portal now, but no eggs or anything yet?

Anyway just wanted to say hello and Im sure Ill be back for advice
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

ArizonanAnts

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:53 am

Hello Rockster,

Welcome to the Camponotus Crew. That is a lot of gear that you have :shock: . It makes sense though since you have lots of queens. Sorry about your trap-jaw. It is really cool that you make your own outworlds. Once again welcome! :)

To the rest of the Crew, ( :D )
On Saturday my Solenopsis All you need Starter Kit arrived :D :D Everything looks so much smaller than I imagined. But it's alright. Today my dad and I are going to check on my Forelius Pruinosis colony. Last time we checked there were larvae. Hopefully, we see a Nanitic, and if not then close to it. Question, when your gear arrived did you guys rinse it or wash it? And, is it okay to do so?

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 am

Welcome Rockster!
Clearly your are already addicted hehe nothing wrong with that! If I had more time I’d have a lot more. I have to look up cork ants! They sound interesting.
Sorry to hear about your trap jaw ants :(
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am

Hey Rockster, welcome to the crew! :D Glad to have you, and can't wait to hear more from you.
I'll be honest, you're making me feel like a noob. :lol: It sounds like you set for everything. Sorry to hear about your trap-jaw queen, they have always been one of my favorite species since I heard about them. Sadly, don't got any up here in Wisconsin.

Any way I hope the rest of your colonies continue to grow and become stronger and stronger. About your camponatous colony you should probably leave them in the portal set up(no outworld or formicarium) until you have twenty to fifty workers. Just a suggestion.

Can't wait to hear more from you. :D

StirTheFire
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Kherafox

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 am

Question, when your gear arrived did you guys rinse it or wash it? And, is it okay to do so?
I haven't yet, because my queens are so far from needing any transferring at this point, I've got time, but hot water and air dry, someone suggested a little bit of white vinegar mixed with the hot water if you want to disinfect won't hurt, as long as stuff is rinsed well. Someone else mentioned that being freshly opened and unused there shouldn't be a real reason to need to wash it, but I am with you on it, I don't want to risk any production residue of anything - and there's that new plastic smell to it. :lol:
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

LasiusSapien

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Rockster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 am
Hello everyone,

I am new to ants, and quickly becoming addicted :shock: I have 4 AC formicariums, 6 mini AC formicariums, and 6 AC test tube portals, I make my own out worlds. My biggest issue has been patience.
I have 3 pyramid queens, 1 camponotus, 1 trap jaw, 1 Big headed, 1 cork head, and 1 ghost queens
I lost my trap jaw to black crazy ants that got into the top of the container I had her in (no more open tops)
I find the portals to work the best for me. I just introduced my Pheidole with 40 workers to an AC mini yesterday can't wait to check on them this morning. all my queens are doing well except for my camponotus, she had 6 workers I lost 2 when I put her in a container buried in sand, 2 of the workers never found their way back or just died outside the test tube? I removed her from the container and connected to a portal now, but no eggs or anything yet?

Anyway just wanted to say hello and Im sure Ill be back for advice
hehe thanks for buying more things than me :lol:

1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Welkome to the crew Rockstar. Very jealous of all your colonies and gear.

About washing the gear, that depends on your tap water really. It could have stuff like chlorine in it. If you want to rinse it, use bottled water and blow dry. Though I doubt it will be necessary to be honest.

ArizonanAnts

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm

LasiusSapien wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm

hehe thanks for buying more things than me :lol:

I Like the messy desk :lol: :lol:
Keeper of

Rockster

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Just as an fyi, Ghost ants are to small for an AC portal, as I found out the hard way this morning, even harder, catching the escapees :o however I managed to get all but a few. So connected to a mini formicarium, they all moved in within an hour, probably 30 to 40 workers and the family, now to get an outworld they cant escape from.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

ArizonanAnts

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 am

Hello everyone,

So on Monday my dad and I checked Forelia and she seems to have pupae and I think that next Monday it's going to be a nanitic. I'm really excited. When do you suggest I feed the nanitics? 5 to 10 days after? Anyway, what do you guys think of the colony name "Sugar Maniacs". Let me know.
Keeper of