Huge queen won't fit on a test tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

BrunoB

Huge queen won't fit on a test tube

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Hey everyone, already asked for an ID on the propper thread but if someone here knows what specie she belongs to please tell me anyway.
I've watched her for nearly half an hour, she was trying to move and turn around on the test tube but she is just to big and can't turn :/
I had hot glue and a small container so I tried to build a bigger setup but I'm afraid that it came out to big and she won't lay on such a big space. I really want her to survive since this is by far the largest specie I ever found. Do you think she will lay on such a huge space??

This is the ant in question:
As you can see she does not have space to turn around, she was really trying to.

And this is the set up I built and her inside it, the tube is full of water to the top, with cotton on the tip, so she can access it. What do you think, will it work?

setup:
I was also pondering to just put her on a large jar of dirt to let her do her own hole but I don't know if it is a good idea :/

I'm sorry to be posting both here and in the ID thread but I believe this questions fit better here.
Thank you to everyone who tries to help!!

Camponotus

Re: Huge queen won't fit on a test tube

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:37 am

It is Camponotus

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 am

BrunoB wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm
Hey everyone, already asked for an ID on the propper thread but if someone here knows what specie she belongs to please tell me anyway.
I've watched her for nearly half an hour, she was trying to move and turn around on the test tube but she is just to big and can't turn :/
I had hot glue and a small container so I tried to build a bigger setup but I'm afraid that it came out to big and she won't lay on such a big space. I really want her to survive since this is by far the largest specie I ever found. Do you think she will lay on such a huge space??

This is the ant in question:
As you can see she does not have space to turn around, she was really trying to.

And this is the set up I built and her inside it, the tube is full of water to the top, with cotton on the tip, so she can access it. What do you think, will it work?

setup:

I was also pondering to just put her on a large jar of dirt to let her do her own hole but I don't know if it is a good idea :/

I'm sorry to be posting both here and in the ID thread but I believe this questions fit better here.
Thank you to everyone who tries to help!!
OK here we go:

First of all, those are some high-quality pictures! It's a Camponotus ligniperda She's a beauty too! The same species as I've got actually, so you might find some of my posts beneficial to read.

If you're worried the container will be too big, you can always add some more cotton and/or dirt to make her feel more confined. Not deep enough to dig around in, but to just fill up the place a bit more. If you give her a container filled with sand, she will probably instinctively try to dig a claustral chamber, and it will be harder to keep an eye on her and follow her progress. I think she'll be just fine like this for the time being.

For the time being? Yes, because it looks like you have made it very hard on yourself gluing the test tube with water to the plastic jar. You won't be able to change the water, or replace the cotton ball should it get moldy. So my advice? Order a larger test tube. And move her into that when it arrives.

Hope that helps?

Camponotus

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 am

Isn't she C. Herculeanus. The queen looks darker than ligniperda

Camponotus

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 am

It's not ligniperda

Camponotus

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 am

Here is the picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michalkukla/45938623064

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 am

Camponotus wrote:
It's not ligniperda
Yeah you might be right actually, she does look a bit darker.

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 am
Camponotus wrote:
It's not ligniperda
Yeah you might be right actually, she does look a bit darker.
But her abdomen start off red-ish and then turn black like the ligniperda. the herculeanous is all black isn't she?

BrunoB

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:14 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 am

For the time being? Yes, because it looks like you have made it very hard on yourself gluing the test tube with water to the plastic jar. You won't be able to change the water, or replace the cotton ball should it get moldy. So my advice? Order a larger test tube. And move her into that when it arrives.

Hope that helps?
It helps a lot, thank you, I'll try to get a larger test tube quick.
How should I move her there? I was wondering how to maker her move with her brewd if she happens to start laying in there by the time I get a larger tube. Also, if I spot eggs in there should I move her or just wait to see what happens?

Thank you Camponotus and Hawkeye for your gesses on the specie.
Here is some more info that may help with ID

-She can't climb very well, I had her in a container made of relatively routh plastic and she could not climb the round walls
-The majority of the ants that I found where I caught her were nesting on holes on the ground near rock surfaces, they had really defined dirt brown tracks thru hard grass (I don't know how they managed to), and the workers varied in size from about 1/3 - 1/4 her size to near this queen size with huge heads. I don't know if they are from her specie but since they were large and she is the largest one I ever saw It made that impression on me.

I have some videos of her moving, I'll put them together and post them, if you would not mind taking a look at her it may help with ID.

Camponotus

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 am

Google C. Herculeanus you will see