Questions on queen progress - C. Penssylvanicus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

emtffkev

Questions on queen progress - C. Penssylvanicus

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:27 pm

So, this is my first attempt at founding a colony and as luck would have it I have found 3 queens! 2 literally fell on my wife while she was on our deck.

I'm curious about the progress of my queens, or more specifically the first I found. The first colony was found on 5/26 and the others about a week apart following her. Everything I've read has indicated that Camponotus queens are slow founders and I would probably end up hibernating her and her nanitics in their tube this year. The two colonies that were found most recently seem to be following this trend, they each have 5-10 eggs and are still in egg form. My confusion is that the first queen has approx 3 pupae, 4-5 larvae, and approx 15 eggs in her tube.

They are kept in the same dark cabinet that is in a climate controlled room. The temperature is kept at around 68F(20C). I'm not sure if this is an anomaly or something that just happens sometimes. Assuming all of her current brood are successful, would transferring her and her colony to a nest this year before hibernating be a reasonable choice?
Founding:

3x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

emtffkev

Re: Questions on queen progress - C. Penssylvanicus

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Update:
Took some pictures of "Super Queen".

(Sorry for quality, still trying to figure out how to get decent lighting without the glare)

Founding:

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 am

emtffkev wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 pm
Update:
Took some pictures of "Super Queen".

(Sorry for quality, still trying to figure out how to get decent lighting without the glare)

Are you sure they're all the same species?

emtffkev

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

To my knowledge, yes. I got a positive ID on her, and the others are nearly identical. I have had a couple friends that know a lot more than me about ants agree.

That being said I'm happy to post some pics of the other two and get more input. I'll post them tomorrow, I'm at work on a 24 hour shift today.
Founding: