No water in test tube and queen won't move.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ant108

No water in test tube and queen won't move.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:32 pm

So now I've joined the club of queens not moving to the new test tube. I've done like everybody else and attached old and new tube. New is completely dark and a light is shining on old tube with no water. She has eggs and won't move. It's been only 2 days.she seems dedicated to staying with the eggs. Plus the old cotton looks still moist, not dried out yet, so for her no need to move yet. At least she has a new water source when needed. Looks like I'll put her in darkness and check once a week. What's the point of rushing her?
Keeper of:
* Messor Barbarus
* 1 Crematogaster Scutellaris queen 1 worker.

AntsDakota

Re: No water in test tube and queen won't move.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:03 pm

That seems like the right approach.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am

You should never try to move a queen that has eggs and no workers. The queens almost never move their eggs into a new home. If they flee their nest due to heat or light they leave the eggs behind. It’s the workers who move eggs and larvae. Even if a queen grabs a mouthful of eggs she will almost certainly not go back into the test tube she left for the rest.

You’re better off just waiting for the eggs to turn into larvae so that at least you could move them with a toothpick. Worst case senario I would just attach a fresh test tube to the old one if the old one runs completely dry.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

teasipper

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:29 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am
You should never try to move a queen that has eggs and no workers. The queens almost never move their eggs into a new home. If they flee their nest due to heat or light they leave the eggs behind. It’s the workers who move eggs and larvae. Even if a queen grabs a mouthful of eggs she will almost certainly not go back into the test tube she left for the rest.

You’re better off just waiting for the eggs to turn into larvae so that at least you could move them with a toothpick. Worst case senario I would just attach a fresh test tube to the old one if the old one runs completely dry.
What do i do if the test tube starts to get mold and the queen won't move?