Stress from shipping (not moving out, no eggs)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Quizzie

Stress from shipping (not moving out, no eggs)

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:56 pm

I would be grateful for advice on my new Formica cinerea colony (queen of 2018).

I bought a queen and about 20 workers online. Shipping time was only 1 day and the weather was quite cool (around 15°C).
When the test tube arrived there were still some white workers, so they must have been active lately, but there was no brood. I assume the queen ate it from the stress of the travel. She has not laid a single egg since she arrived 2 weeks ago.

The test tube is still very full of water, but disgusting - the cotton is completely black from mold and there is mold floating in the water. I placed the test tube in the outworld of a formicarium, but that was 2 weeks ago and they haven't moved. Two days ago I added a new test tube to the outworld to give them options.

Should I:
a) force the move into the formicarium (with light, heat or brute force)
b) give them time, encourage moving into the test tube for now by covering it
?

Thank you!

AntsDakota

Re: Stress from shipping (not moving out, no eggs)

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Quizzie wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:56 pm
I would be grateful for advice on my new Formica cinerea colony (queen of 2018).

I bought a queen and about 20 workers online. Shipping time was only 1 day and the weather was quite cool (around 15°C).
When the test tube arrived there were still some white workers, so they must have been active lately, but there was no brood. I assume the queen ate it from the stress of the travel. She has not laid a single egg since she arrived 2 weeks ago.

The test tube is still very full of water, but disgusting - the cotton is completely black from mold and there is mold floating in the water. I placed the test tube in the outworld of a formicarium, but that was 2 weeks ago and they haven't moved. Two days ago I added a new test tube to the outworld to give them options.

Should I:
a) force the move into the formicarium (with light, heat or brute force)
b) give them time, encourage moving into the test tube for now by covering it
?

Thank you!
Ants will generally not move unless you shine light on them at least. Just make sure the light isn't too hot, for they could roast.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25