Some questions on male ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Moonjade36

Some questions on male ants

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I was sitting in my driveway and noticed a writhing chunk of black mass on the other side of it. When I went over to check it out (tbh REALLY hoping it was a queen) it appeared to be like 3 black ants that's I'm pretty sure were males. They were all locked onto eachother almost looking as if they were trying to mate. Is this a normal thing to happen? Or was I completely mistaken and one (or more) of them were likely female? I also noticed the same thing the next day, but it was only two ants and one of them was actually dead. I both scenarios I kinda just used a stick to poke them apart and they took off.

Which leads me to my next thing. These ants were flying around a small patch of grass by my driving FOREVER. They just kept flying and landing and flying and landing. I was watching them for a long time (again, really hoping they'd lead me to a queen or something) but I never saw anything other than them flying (and landing). So my question here is, if there are a bunch of male alates flying around, is that like a guarantee that there's at least one queen alate nearby? Or do they sometimes just fly around cuz they can?

Thanks for reading, I just found it an odd experience altogether and also quite frustrating since I have yet to find any queens lol

JDSweetMeat

Re: Some questions on male ants

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Do you happen to have any pictures of the ants in question?

I mean, some species of ant have queens that resemble males. It may also be that you only caught the males and the female they were mating with got away?

CabboAntsGuy

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 pm

There are a few differences between males and females, one of them being gaster size. The back part of a queen is usually bigger than that of a male. Males are sometimes smaller. Queens(without wings) will have wing scars. And males die after mating. If it looks more like a black wasp, it is probably a male. You could catch them anyway to study them and they might turn out to be females.

Good luck! :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus Q (one with 7-10 workers)
2 formica subsericea Q
2 monomorium pharaonis Q

Come be a part of our Camponotus Crewhttps://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267

antnest8

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:59 am

If you really want to be sure. check for mandibals males don't have them