Camponotus Queen just laid eggs!!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MarketTree

Re: Camponotus Queen just laid eggs!!!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 am

And yet ANOTHER queen!

I'm not quite sure of her sp but she is just over 1/4 inches long and seems to have a nice temperament.

MarketTree

Update: Camponotus Queen just laid eggs!!!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Here is an update with ACTUAL pics this time:

As you can see in the pic below, my original Camponotus Queen seems to be doing well and has gathered up her eggs into a single bundle since last month. Here are a couple of questions/concerns.
  1. The eggs don't seem to have grown or developed since last month. I know that this species is fairly slow to develop but is this slow level of egg development normal? Can anyone point me to a growth chart of Camponotus eggs?
  2. I know it's not too abnormal for her to still have her wings at this point but there seems to be a white fuzz on them. I can't tell if this is just fragments of the cotton that she has been shredding or mold. I don't think there is much that I can do but is this something that should be a concern?
  3. I'm a little worried that the cotton holding back the water reservoir may be a little tight and may not be letting enough moisture through to her chamber. Should this be a concern and if so, is there anything that I can do?
Here are the updated pics:

MarketTree

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm

My son and I actually caught a 2nd Camponotus. As you can see, she has broken off her wings and has already laid a nice bundle of eggs. She loves tearing at her cotton though...

Hawkeye

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm

MarketTree wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 am
New Camponotus Queen update!

My son and I actually caught a 2nd Camponotus. As you can see, she has broken off her wings and has already laid a nice bundle of eggs. She loves tearing at her cotton though...

The pictures aren't showing? I'd say the tube is good enough until she has at least 10-20 workers. It might take up to 4 weeks for eggs to develop into another stage, possibly more if the temperature isn't high enough, so I wouldn't worry about that.

MarketTree

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm
The pictures aren't showing? I'd say the tube is good enough until she has at least 10-20 workers. It might take up to 4 weeks for eggs to develop into another stage, possibly more if the temperature isn't high enough, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Thanks a lot Hawkeye! And yeah, some of the more recent pics weren't showing, so I reposted them with the same questions again. :roll: