Suggested Lasius species for captivity in Southern Ontario, Canada?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CrouxR

Suggested Lasius species for captivity in Southern Ontario, Canada?

Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 am

Hello,

I have a Lasius formicarium setup, with a field/forest biome, but I've been waffling on what ant queen to look for/purchase to fill it.

I'm a bit on the fence between several Lasius species: L. Americanus, L. Neoniger, L. Nearcticus and L. Claviger.

For those of you who have some experience keeping Lasius species, was there a particular one that was a problematic handful, or quite a rewarding joy? Any tips or whatnot to look out for?

Thanks!

JoeHostile1

Re: Suggested Lasius species for captivity in Southern Ontario, Canada?

Wed May 22, 2019 11:34 am

Just because you bought a Lasius set up doesn’t mean you have to put a Lasius species in there. Any small to medium sized species will be fine in there.

Lasius neoniger and Lasius amercanius are almost identical. In both appearance and behaviour. I think the only way you can tell them apart is by counting hairs and antenna segments. Apparently from what I read L. Americanus also eats seeds and my Lasius neoniger have never touched seeds ever.

Lasius claviger is a social parasite. You would need a Lasius colony already or access to a wild one so you could take brood and workers to give them to the Lasius claviger Queen. Because she will not lay eggs without them.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

CrouxR

Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks!

Oh, so perhaps something like Prenolepis imparis would work, as well, no? I suppose I'd have to keep an eye out for some of the smaller species, then.

WillWithAnts

Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Yes, Prenolopis imparis would be happy there too.