I need some advice for solonopsis invicta

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

kferman

I need some advice for solonopsis invicta

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 pm

So i caught four solonopsis invicta queens recently and they are getting along, and they already have about fifty nanitic eggs. i have never kept this species so could i get any recommendations available from experienced ant keepers of this species? what to feed them and what nest setup is effective for them once the eggs hatch, for example? any advice helps :D

Antscannabis

Re: I need some advice for solonopsis invicta

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:37 am

Hey ,first off a warning,lol........ i have only kept fireants one time, and like you attempted to use two queens as i heard they do in the wild . I quickly learned this is not only unnessesary, due to their incredible growth rate. But dangerous as after getting to a notable size and without any catalys . ( besides perhaps an abundace of food ) .... The two queens began to battle . And the workers killed the surviving queen immediately after. that said.........

They seem to like bits of bugs, suggar water or honey. I only recently learned grains may also be an important part of their diet antcanada has many youtube vids on the species. But half as fast as they grow, is too fast for me . So maybe boost your colony with some of the other queens eggs. But i would consider starting with one queen. They are not a slow colony to grow to a size in which food, waste removal, and spacial demands get overwhelming . But good luck!

kferman

Re: I need some advice for solonopsis invicta

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:04 am

Ok thanks for the info. The only thing I don’t think I can do at this point is separate the queens as they have put all of their eggs into a single massive brood pile. Is it likely the queens will fight/kill each other?