Camponotus Larva Not Growing

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

cmreese228

Camponotus Larva Not Growing

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Hello,

I have had a Camponotus americanus colony for a few months and the queen laid a fair amount of eggs a couple of months ago and the larva are growing very slowly. I understand that the growing rate of Camponotus is slower than most, around 2 months for egg to worker, but it has been over two months and the larva are still very small. I feed them crickets and honey and provide adequate water in multiple test tubes for them. Am I missing something in their diet to help the larva grow?

Thank you for any help

JoeHostile1

Re: Camponotus Larva Not Growing

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:45 am

You took them out of hibernation in February which is still winter. They laid eggs which is nice but sounds like they were still in a state of dormancy. Egg to worker takes 2 months at ideal temperature and during their growing season. Are you still heating your house? If so then your house is not at summer temperatures. Once your house heats up and the ants enter their proper growing season the workers will take about 2 months instead of the about 3 months they are probably taking now.

Camponotus also hibernate with larvae and I hibernate my ants for 5 months. So a larvae may have been growing for a month then goes into 5 months hibernation then takes 1 month after hibernation. That’s a total of 7 months for that egg to turn into an ant. So the two months from egg to larva is not an absolute rule.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

cmreese228

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Around what month is proper growing season?

JoeHostile1

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:55 am

Just depends where you live. Camponotus like it hot. And by proper growing season I just mean basically when the night time temperature stays at around 20C or so instead of dropping down to like 10-15C which will slow down the larvae growth rate.

If you want to speed up larvae development in your house you could always add an undercut heat source. Just be careful you don’t cook your ants. Especially if they are in a test tube.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA