I have some P.Imparis how should i take care of them?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Plenter

I have some P.Imparis how should i take care of them?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I just caught six P.Imparis. I know that they're polygamous and I put three in one tube and 3 in the other, should I put them all together? What temp should I keep them at? How long will it take for them to grow? Also they all have licked the tips of their gasters and I watched all of them mate so I think that they will lay eggs.

AntsDakota

Re: I have some P.Imparis how should i take care of them?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am

Plenter wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:21 pm
I just caught six P.Imparis. I know that they're polygamous and I put three in one tube and 3 in the other, should I put them all together? What temp should I keep them at? How long will it take for them to grow? Also they all have licked the tips of their gasters and I watched all of them mate so I think that they will lay eggs.
I would not recommend putting them all together, as If one colony dies you will have a spare. Prenolepis imparis are commonly referred to as winter ants, due to their unusual behavior of preferring cooler temperatures. I would suggest keeping them at between 50 and 60 degrees F. And, from what I’ve heard, Prenolepis grow very slow, and colonies usually don’t grow very large.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JDFrash

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Hello, Do you still have the Prenolepis imparis? This are the winter Ants correct and where do you live? I know they are native to my area so that should not be a problem. I live in Washington State.

antnest8

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:57 pm

I might put them together i had 3 together twice and they all died. But maybe thats my fault :(