Capturing queens at the nest entrance

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RvBVakama

Capturing queens at the nest entrance

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:28 am

If I were to capture a big headed (pheidole I think) drone and queen at the nest entrance and put them both in a test tube, would they mate? would this be a bad idea (interbreeding, although I've read some ants do this)? would they ignore eachother? if a colony was started, would they have problems due to the interbreeding. or perhaps they wouldn't mate and instead just have drones?

JoeHostile1

Re: Capturing queens at the nest entrance

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am

When ants have nuptial flights it is so they can mate with other colonies. So if you saw males and females coming out of the nest that means they are preparing for a nuptial flight. If they could just mate inside the nest than they would have no reason to just come to the surface for you grab them.

But if you see them preparing for a flight they usually don’t have to fly very far to meet up with another nest. Sometimes you can see them all gathering a block away or so.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA