Queen not laying after hibernation, but did before?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Good2Know15

Queen not laying after hibernation, but did before?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:08 pm

So I had captured a Lasius Niger queen last year and she was fertile and doing really well in a small container. She laid a bunch of eggs and got 11 nanitic workers. Unfortunately I made some mistakes and long story short all of the workers died due to condensation problems inside the formicarium, which was too big and too moist for the colony. Then I had to move her into a proper test tube setup (which she did by herself unexpectedly) and hibernate my queen as the winter was approaching. I let her rest for about three months. She finally awoke now and is getting more active, but three weeks have passed and there are no new laid eggs. She's settled in a small test tube with only 3 tiny larvae. She seems to care for her larvae, but does not accept any food after the three month hibernation. On the other hand, my Lasius Flavus colony is doing great. There's a queen with 5 workers, some brood and new laid eggs.

I wonder if it's the temperature that stops the Lasius Niger queen from laying any eggs or the larvae growing. Could it be because the loss of all her workers and she is back in the founding stage?

Let me know what you think about that :|
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

JoeHostile1

Re: Queen not laying after hibernation, but did before?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 am

I think you just need to be patient and wait for her to lay eggs again. Since she lost all her workers you need to provide her with sugar water and protein inside the test tube.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA