Advice for Camponotus Colony (Colony collapse?)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Advice for Camponotus Colony (Colony collapse?)

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Hello AntsCanada,

I wanted to ask you guys about my Camponotus Laevigatus colony. I recently just brought them out of hibernation because I saw some other colony movement around my house. I got them out of the old moldy test tubes and there was some casualties because some water leaked out and froze some of them. I got them out of the old tubes and into a portal, with a new sugar water and water test tube. Removed the old tubes.

While moving them with light, encouraging them to move towards the dark, the queen ran out and into a newer tube, but only halfway down the tube. A whole night and day has now passed and they still seem to be discombobulated, the workers have no interest in moving the brood from the portal into a more hydrated place. Some of them don't even seem to realize where the queen has gone. It seems very strange, I don't want them to stagnate and just die off because this is year two of my campo colony and they are supposed to really take off this year.

Worried and wondering what you guys think. The workers appear to be pretty healthy looking and still have some reserves left over, so hopefully, they will take great care of the queen until they get going again. I've connected another portal with a dab of honey and half a cricket and I've seen maybe one worker-run down the tubing, but not even investigating the new portal. Nearly seems like colony collapse. Any idea what's going on? They have also been hibernating since the beginning-middle of November.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

PwnerPie

Re: Advice for Camponotus Colony (Colony collapse?)

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 am

It can take them a week to wake up fully. If you forced them out of their old tubes they'll be messed up for a while as well. They should be fine. Give them time and food. Mine didn't start foraging for 3+ days
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

Barfdog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 am

PwnerPie wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 am
It can take them a week to wake up fully. If you forced them out of their old tubes they'll be messed up for a while as well. They should be fine. Give them time and food. Mine didn't start foraging for 3+ days

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I may have taken them out a tad early since they are from a northern region 100 or so miles from me that's still pretty chilly. Really hoping they get back to normal soon. I'm also mostly concerned about the small brood pile they seem to be doing nothing with, don't they need to be kept in a moist environment?

Thank you! :D :D
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

PwnerPie

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Ha. That is my understanding. But as long as they have access to a moist environment, they'll move when ready. I have stopped trying to fully understand why ants do what they do. Give them their gradient in heat and moisture, they will figure out the rest. :)
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.