Is colored aquarium sand dangerous for ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jayelem

Is colored aquarium sand dangerous for ants?

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:13 am

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I’m also relatively new to ant keeping. It’s my second attempt at a colony of Lasius Niger. The first was from a queen my friend caught in the wild but it didn’t strive and I never moved them out of the test tube (it ended with me releasing them in the garden and hoping that they don’t just die...) This time, I bought a queen and workers from a UK shop. I also have a nest and a small arena where I put the open test tube, the whole thing is in a small box and I keep them in the dark until their hibernation period ends (there is a wasp nest in my house’s ceiling at the moment, I figured when they come back out, it will be time for the ants to come out and move into their nest and out of the test tube as well).

Anyway, on to the reason for my post: i bought a second arena with the idea of making an outworld in it and attach it to the first arena. I have become very interested in micro landscapes, fairy gardens... and I would like to try something different than what I have seen around so far. My idea was to create an alien planet landscape using a layer of purple aquarium sand over a grout base. I only see people using natural looking colors so it has me wondering if the colored sand would cause issues? I bought it from a legit aquarium shop in London and I figured if it’s ok for fish, it should be ok for ants, too?

In my first ant test tube experiment, I had given then some of the loose purple sand and they had moved it inside and placed some of it against the wet cotton ball. So I’m guessing it’s not going to be toxic...? But since nobody is doing it, I am worried that it will cause issues. Any advice about this from you guys?

I also dabble with resin and I was thinking of putting a small fake pond of resin in the outworld. I suppose I would have to cure it for a good while until all the fumes have gone for it to be safe, but again, would you guys advise against it altogether?

I’m a geeky girl ant keeper and I dream of an alien planet ant world, but not if that’s going to harm my ants. Any advice is very welcome.

TippyDisc911

Re: Is colored aquarium sand dangerous for ants?

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Not at all! Aquarium Sand is completely harmless to your colony! I use it with my fire ants and it works fine. Sand also let’s your colony design their setup the way they want it!

P.s. if it was bad then they wouldn’t use it with fish and most fish are delicate to water conditions
Keeping:
Formica subsericea: 10 workers
Tetramourium Immigrans: 12 workers
solenopsis molesta: 25-30 workers

"The ant's a centaur in his dragon world"-Ezra Pound

Dream species: Atta Texana

Hunter36o

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:39 am

Do not go by the wasps. Their hibernation period matches that of Myrmica and not Lasius if I am not mistaken.
Lasius Nigers are already out and about here in Ireland so let your ants wake up and feed. Myrmica will stop hibernating sometime in march, as long as we do not have a repeat of last year that is. So your going by the wrong time.

As for your outworld ideas, they seem spot on and your aware of what will need to cure by the looks of things. Fish are more fragile then insects so if it's okay for them, it by all rights should be just fine. I use aquatic gear with one of my ant nests because I have it on hand due to my planted tank, minnow tank and my axolotl's tank and I have had no issues to date.

Also your far off from me right? You said in a different post where it's from and it's only about 20 to a half hour depending on traffic to my village. I have a superworm pen in my house with beetles constantly laying eggs so if your stuck for food you can drop me a message and we can sort something out.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Jayelem

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I got my ants out, they are on my desk so I get to keep an eye on them while I work.

I’m definitely going to drop you a line, hunter36o ;) I’m very queasy about getting worms and stuff to feed them. Lol

Hunter36o

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:05 am

No problem. You have them in your work place or you work from home? Can Imagen you in a office scurrying around looking for a loose queen ant xD.

That is completely understandable but the ants need their protein. Like I said I have a darkling beetle colony and they are just banging out eggs on a daily basis so superworms are kinda in abundance right now xD.
I will have to buy a new pack tho to decrease the potential for inbreeding. Need to keep the wormies healthy for the rest of my pets xD.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Jayelem

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 am

I work from home but I did have to keep my old colony in their test tube in my office drawer when I first moved to Ireland because I was living in a hostel and didn’t trust the cleaning ladies not to throw my ants away while I was at work. Nobody knew they were there.

I’m happy to get some worms out of your hands if you need to get rid of them. ;)

Hunter36o

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 am

I would be the same! I have actually turned the warmest corner in my kitchen into the pet corner, there I have my beetles, worms and ants. My stick insect has her own little house on the kitchen table because it's a little too fancy to sit in a corner :lol: :lol:

No problem at all. Give them about one more week or so of development and I'll box up a few of the bigger ones then? Please prekill these before feeding to your ants as superworms have strong jaws for their size and will defend themselves quite well.

Jayelem

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:28 am

We have a deal !