Very new help must save them

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jenchast

Very new help must save them

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:06 am

Hi I am very new to this. There is an ant Colony living in my bath room wall at my current apartment. I have enjoyed watching them all year but soon I will be moving and the next people here will most likely kill them. I have toyed with the idea of keeping ants for years now I think it’s time. I have watched videos on how to make the queen exit and catch her. But they don’t tell me what to do next.
Do I just catch her or do I go for as many workers as I can.
What kind of nesting Material do I provide for her.
I have been leaving them treat so I can watch them eat. But what do I provide as every day food
Also they are very very small how do I keep them in their enclosure I was thinking A cheesecloth Lid.

And any other information I need to know

Ps I’m a nanny so I’d like to make my ant home able to travel as it would be great for teaching and also I’m a nanny money is alway tight so diy (very good at diy) for cheep it best with out sacrificing what they need

AwesomeEjz

Re: Very new help must save them

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:55 am

Yes I think that you should try to save the queen. Just don't tear down the wall. :D
oh and you should use this.
https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/new-ant-tower-deluxe-small/
Caring for 3 solenopsis invicta 8-) (no eggs yet).

Hunter36o

Re: Very new help must save them

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:48 am

You can use YouTube for DIY set up ideas. And yes since this queen has already established her colony you will need to take a couple of workers as she will not have the required reserves to start all over again.
The workers that you see daily are the rarest of the workers so if you can disturb the nest enough to have them all bust out would be beneficial as you will have workers at their different life stages. This is important as the youngest workers will stay in the nest while the elders hunt for food.

Hope this all works out and on behalf of the ants. Thanks you for saving them from possible future hostile humans
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.