Brachymyrmex

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nylanderiavividula

Brachymyrmex

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 am

I have a small wild-caught colony of Brachymyrmex. They are not our native B. delpilis, but some other, totally black species (patagonicus?). When I caught them I managed to get the queen, around 30-40 workers, and probably 100 or more eggs/larvae...all in a cork-top four ounce muth jar. I connected the muth jar with tubing to a cork-top test tube/water set up, but they have refused to move! My concern is for the eggs and their humidity requirements. I have noticed multiple workers with distended gasters hanging around and on the eggs. When I caught them I did not see any with distended gasters. Do they keep a sort of replete? Will these engorged workers somehow keep the eggs humidified? Any help would be great!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Brachymyrmex

Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 am

Nylanderiavividula wrote:
I have a small wild-caught colony of Brachymyrmex. They are not our native B. delpilis, but some other, totally black species (patagonicus?). When I caught them I managed to get the queen, around 30-40 workers, and probably 100 or more eggs/larvae...all in a cork-top four ounce muth jar. I connected the muth jar with tubing to a cork-top test tube/water set up, but they have refused to move! My concern is for the eggs and their humidity requirements. I have noticed multiple workers with distended gasters hanging around and on the eggs. When I caught them I did not see any with distended gasters. Do they keep a sort of replete? Will these engorged workers somehow keep the eggs humidified? Any help would be great!
They may move overnight, and the repletes feed the larvae that are hatching. Give them some time, patience is key :D
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SavANT

Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
They may move overnight, and the repletes feed the larvae that are hatching. Give them some time, patience is key :D
Tell that to Camponotus ants :D
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 02, 2022 1:25 pm

SavANT wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tell that to Camponotus ants :D
Only once my Camponotus didn’t move within three days, usually nocturnal ones move overnight if there are no vibrations and it is completly black-in both test tubes. They don’t do well with moving with light, as it does is stress the queen. I move mine my making the new tube heated, instantly the workers move brood and the queen
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SavANT

Mon May 02, 2022 2:40 pm

Interesting
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)