I think my queen died during hibernation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Estebanhug

I think my queen died during hibernation

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 am

Hello so I bough a queen lasius niger in about September and hibernated her from like November until now in my fridge. Up until 2 weeks ago everything was fine and she was moving a bit and was alive. However now she doesn’t seem to be alive she has her mandibles open and her legs are spread apart. Because I think she died I took her out the fridge today to see if maybe she would wake up but I am not sure as she still doesnt move. Because the test tube has also turned moldy during this time maybe it killed her I don’t know. Can anyone try tell me if she is dead or if it is normal. I am sad because she has around 40 workers who all seem fine and healthy. Since I realised that she could be dead she has changed places in the test tube however I think it was the workers moving her. So i would like to know what u guys think thank you.
PS cant send pictures says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

antnest8

Re: I think my queen died during hibernation

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 am

if her legs are spread apart she should be alive just leave there test tube out to "thaw" for a couple days. Then look ants can seem dead for days to weeks before.
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

antnest8

Re: I think my queen died during hibernation

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 am

keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus