Too late to hibernate?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

cinnamee

Too late to hibernate?

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 pm

I haven't been hibernating my ants properly at all and I'm motivated to do it now, but I'm wondering if it's too late to do it now? I'm thinking of buying a wine cooler because there isn't a suitable place to do it in my house. The basement is heated and there's no room in the fridge. The ants are definitely trying to hibernate.

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada so winter is only half over and there's probably still another 3 or 4 months left of sub 5C weather. The species I have are Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Lasius neoniger, and Lasius niger

ClashOwenBash

Re: Too late to hibernate?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

cinnamee wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 pm
I haven't been hibernating my ants properly at all and I'm motivated to do it now, but I'm wondering if it's too late to do it now? I'm thinking of buying a wine cooler because there isn't a suitable place to do it in my house. The basement is heated and there's no room in the fridge. The ants are definitely trying to hibernate.

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada so winter is only half over and there's probably still another 3 or 4 months left of sub 5C weather. The species I have are Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Lasius neoniger, and Lasius niger
If there is another 3 months left, I would recommend hibernation.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

JoeHostile1

Re: Too late to hibernate?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 pm

It’s not too late to properly care for your ants. Wine coolers/mini fridges are great. Even if you only need to hibernate the ants for a couple months this year you will need to do that every year for at least the next decade. Plus you can always use the fridge for drinks in the summer so it’s not like it would be a waste of money.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA