First year for diapause

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NKantsalberta

First year for diapause

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello! I am in Alberta, Canada. I am curious if my first year ant queens/ colonies can survive freezing over the winter hibernation? I currently have them in an insulated unit in my garage. They have been at 5-10 celcius since mid October. the outside temp has not been lower than -16 celcius. Should I be maintaining them at an above 0 temp, or will they be okay with what nature throws at them? Lasius Parasite Queen with host lasius neo-niger/ Lasius sp, myrmica sp and workers / brood, formica fusca, and camponotus novae boracensis queens with brood

I plan to keep them above -10celsius

any input appreciated!

Cheers!
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Helianthus

Re: First year for diapause

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 am

Woah. Are they still alive after -16? I wouldn't advise risking your hard work with such low temps. Is there a mini-fridge or somewhere more insulated you could put them like a cold closet or basement?

antnest8

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 am

well the lasius parasite queen would do ok because i found dome outside under a log literally sitting on the Ice and still Alive. as for the workers and brood They will not fair as well. some ants have anti-freeze chemicals in the hemolyph, like your camponotus ants, but most do not since they usually stay underground at at around 10 degrees Celsius with it dropping as low as 4 Celsius. so I would move your colonies to a warmer area. If you want to keep your camponotus ants there you can keep them but still at a bit of a risk.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

NKantsalberta

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Helianthus wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 am
Woah. Are they still alive after -16? I wouldn't advise risking your hard work with such low temps. Is there a mini-fridge or somewhere more insulated you could put them like a cold closet or basement?
Lol they havent dropped below 4 celsius yet as they are in my garage, just the outside temp. I'm most likely moving them into the basement once it gets colder

NKantsalberta

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:46 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 am
well the lasius parasite queen would do ok because i found dome outside under a log literally sitting on the Ice and still Alive. as for the workers and brood They will not fair as well. some ants have anti-freeze chemicals in the hemolyph, like your camponotus ants, but most do not since they usually stay underground at at around 10 degrees Celsius with it dropping as low as 4 Celsius. so I would move your colonies to a warmer area. If you want to keep your camponotus ants there you can keep them but still at a bit of a risk.
Thank you for your input! The camponotus have finally entered diapause, but everyone else is still active at 4 Celsius.