Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DerServy

I am new and I need help.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 am

Hello there,

I am planning to get my own ant colony.

But I have a few questions.
First, do I need to wet sand nests? I was planning to get this: https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Ameisen-Starter-Sets-Ameisenfarmen-antfarm/Starter-Sets---S/Ameisen-Starter-Set-S---30x20---Combi-5158.html
But just because I've heard that too large ant nests can be bad, especially when my colony is just 20 workers or so.
I'd actually like to buy the AC Starter Set, but I think its too large. And I dont want them to put their waste in their nest, just because its too large. So please help me. And I think that sand nests are good, because they can dig as much sas they need. But correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, how often do I have to wet my nest? I mean is there an indicator or something?

I am planning to get Lausius niger, since they should be easy to keep alive.
Thank you in advance for all the replies :)

PS: Sorry, it may be that this post is in the wrong subforum, but I have never had a strength for that.

UnrealSparks

Re: I am new and I need help.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello DerServy!!

I think the formicarium in the link you provided should be pretty good. I actually raised two of my colonies in a similar setup and I can tell you it worked very well! :D

As you said the good thing about sand nests is that the ants can dig the nest they prefer and expand it when they feel the need. One of the two colonies I raised in there went from 25-30 workers (May 2018) to 250-300 workers (November 2018) and is now hibernating. I used to pour about 5 ml of water in a section of the nest (on top of the sandwich), not all of it, to keep a moisture gradient, once a day in summer and once every three days now in winter.

I'd also recommend putting a test tube filled with fresh water in the arena, so if for any reason the nest gets too dry you'll see a good amount of them moving in it to drink. If you see this it means you need to water the nest more often.

And a tip I can give you about past experiences is that once you'll be preparing the setup, when you'll have to water the nest for the first time before letting the ants in, don't put too much water... about 10 ml on top of the nest and in the entrances should be enough. The nest doesn't have to be "muddy"! :lol:
I know the sand will look unstable, but after some weeks of watering it should become more compact.

If you have any more question don't mind asking! ;)

PS: don't worry about the subforum, maybe you could have started the topic in the Formicariums and Ant Nests section, but here is fine too. :)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

Hunter36o

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:20 am

Hey hey people!
I actually have that exact enclosure from the same store. Came in perfect Nik, no issues with delivery and no damage even to packaging so they do provide a good service.

I actually stole the sand for a different enclosure and the one thing I noticed is you will have to water the sand maybe twice a week to keep it just soft enough for the ants to change their nest layout as they see fit, if you don't it hardens in a few days and will make is harder for the ants to renovate.

I will also admit I never used the ***** supplied with the formicarium because it is much better to have fresh foods for any pets.

I got the AC starter kit also xD. The test tube portals are ideal for a small colony of 20 because the AC test tubes provide loads of space compared to the average tube and the portal acts as a perfect mini outworks for forging.

For testing purposes I also got one of those cheap beats off of wish.com and let me tell you, they are way better then I expected and there is a wide range of sizes to choose from. I only attached one test tube to it the other day and I have not exposed the test tube to light so they can just get a feel for the new area before I force a move. I will (if I can remember to do so) add a new Google drive file with all set up varieties for ants and feeders to show all beginner type set ups.
Old fish tanks once cleaned properly are also ideal. A small goldfish bowl is good. Then you can dig up soil from your garden, add it to a bucket with boiling water and leave to sit maybe topping up once with a fresh kettle of boiling water, this will sterilise the soil and kill off any parasites and that living in the soil. Cheap yet a very effective set up. Also you do not have to add soil.

You and anyone else can message me for substrate ideas as I have been doing a hella tone of research on different subs for different style enclosures and the best thing for native creatures is native (treated) soils. Coco brick is an easier options but you have to buy it.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:36 am

Hallöchen,

I don't know what materials Lasius Niger prefer but on the side itself it should give you some basic informations. I also guess that they like it a bit moist so perhaps also get yourself a spraying bottle. (weißt schon. Sowas wie manche vernarrten Gärdner haben, um ein wenig Wasser auf die Blätter zu sprühen. HAHA) And then you could spray inside ever once in a while or to simulate the rain from outside. like every day of rain outside could be like a day of rain inside. Not too much of course. You don't want to flood them out.

About the nest size. if the colony is too small you propaply won't see much action of them for a while so don't offer them too much space. Perhaps you can use some pipes as a first addition to the testtube which will also allow for some growing space.

Falls du mehr Fragen hast, einfach fragen. :)
Übrigens. Aus welchem Bundesland kommst du in etwa, vielleicht kann ich dir ja dann bei Gelegenhait einmal helfen.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

UnrealSparks

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:54 pm

LoclanB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:18 am
Hi I'm also new and I'm wondering how to make a post of mine. Yeah I know, I don't know how to post :( but I know how to reply. Can anyone help me?
You need to click on the top left AntsCanada picture or on the "Main ACAF List" button just below it to return to the general forum and from there navigate to the sub-forum of your choice. Then once you'll be in it, there is a button labelled "New Topic" between the windows. Click on it and after inserting your question you can either preview it (to simulate how other users would see it), or just publish it by clicking on submit. ;)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

WouterK

Messor Barbarus help

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:53 am

Dear people of the internet,

I've had a Messor Barbarus colony for about 3 months now, tho they haven't been growing properly. I'd guess they consist of about 50/60 ants at the moment.
At the moment they are still in a testtube connected to an outworld. They have acces to a vertical nest that's 15x20cm . However they aren't interested in this at all. The queen does lay eggs, but very few.
I don't really know what to do..
If you guys have any advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Loolmanlegacy

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 am

Thank you, I am new too! I will certainly check these nests out!
Keeper of:
1x Iridomyrmex bickenilli, first workers

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Messor Barbarus help

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 am

WouterK wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:53 am
Dear people of the internet,

I've had a Messor Barbarus colony for about 3 months now, tho they haven't been growing properly. I'd guess they consist of about 50/60 ants at the moment.
At the moment they are still in a testtube connected to an outworld. They have acces to a vertical nest that's 15x20cm . However they aren't interested in this at all. The queen does lay eggs, but very few.
I don't really know what to do..
If you guys have any advice, I'd love to hear from you.
Not really the right way to open a new thread/topic. It also would be best to have a topic of your own. To not have your request for help go under. Please also include the following info. How old is the colony? What food do you offer? Is the nesting area in darkness?

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

mileslanham24

Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:54 pm

A few weeks ago I put a colony of ants in a terrarium it knowing if there is a queen or not, and I am still trying to figure it out. The ants come out to eat and search for food but often times bury it. This feeding session I noticed less ants, any tips

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 am

hey miles,

Please open a new thread. Please also explain what species you have and how big the colony was. If the queen has died then you should check if there is a queen ant body lying on their garbage site.