I need help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

Re: I need help

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:42 am

Alright thank you for the help guys its really appreciated. Especially for a newcomer like me that is not sure or confident yet in my abilities to properly take care of a ant farm. I also really appreciate the fact that you guys responded to an ""old"" message you dont see that often in other forums, thank you.

Don't worry I though of the bacteria that uncooked meat could bring so I gave them a mix of cooked meat and honey, A good balance of sugar and protein before the big sleep.

Just one final question that i forgot to mention if you dont have access to a fringed can a cold room also do the trick? I was planing to put them somewhere in the basement where its usually cold,plus I am planing on putting the tube directly on the basement concrete since that ""attracts"" the cold. At the same time I did put a thermostat in the area i wanted to put them in to see what the temperature there would be. Oh and I'm assuming that you check on them during hibernation to make sure they are ok and that mold does not form, if it does form do I change them or leave them be until spring?

UnrealSparks

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 am

No problem, it's always a pleasure for us to be helpful!! :D

If your basement is cold enough (below 10 °C but above 4 °C) then it should be fine. I also usually check on them to see if the test tubes water level is ok and to check how active they are.

Usually if you changed test tube before hibernation mold should not grow, but if it does I don't think it would have time to become dangerous in that little time, so I'd normally wait until spring. ;)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

loupgaroupgris

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

UnrealSparks wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 am
No problem, it's always a pleasure for us to be helpful!! :D

If your basement is cold enough (below 10 °C but above 4 °C) then it should be fine. I also usually check on them to see if the test tubes water level is ok and to check how active they are.

Usually if you changed test tube before hibernation mold should not grow, but if it does I don't think it would have time to become dangerous in that little time, so I'd normally wait until spring. ;)
Alright thanks again and I hope to see you all in spring. :D

UnrealSparks

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:47 pm

See ya in spring! :)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus