Moderator: ooper01

PaxxMantid

New ant keeper: questions about handling diapause

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi all -

I am a new antkeeper getting ready to hibernate my colonies, which consist of:

Lasius Niger with brood, in a test tube
Lasius Niger, with brood and about 10 workers in a test tube
Tetramoriam Caspicus, with brood and about 20 workers in a founding formicarium.
Camponotus pennsylvanicus. with brood and 4 workers in a founding formicarium.

My questions are about how to care for them during diapause.

(1) I purchased a wine cooler which keeps a steady temp of 46 degrees F or 7.7 degrees c. I am using it for mantis feeders but have plenty of room to hibernate the colonies in there. Would this work well?

(2) Is it correct that they just need sugars during diapause, no proteins? I've also been told they only need water during diapause, so wanted to ask here.

(3) Am I correct in assuming that the test tubes (20mm, newly filled with distilled water) will last until the spring?

(4) I am also going overseas for 3 weeks in December. So, it would be great if I could figure out a way to go 3 weeks without checking on them. Possible?

Ok, I know that's a lot of questions but any help much appreciated.
thanks! :D

thanks!!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: New ant keeper: questions about handling diapause

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 am

Hello there,

To give you a quick and short answer. Lasius Niger should be hibernating already but don't panic now. Sometimes they start hibernation later but usually from end of october until end of march at 5-8°C

I don't know about feeding them during hibernation but I'm not going to. They had a good load of honey and usually their metabolism is slowed down a lot so they don't need a lot of food. perhaps give them a droplet of honey 1-2 days before hibernation and then just remove the rest of the honey so they don't get stressed out by leftover food.

That's all for lasius niger for now. You can check on this webside for some general informations. https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Ameisen/Ameisen-aus-Mitteleuropa/Lasius-niger-Schwarze-Wegameise.html
Sorry it's in german but I am sure google will be able to translate it for you or if you want to know something specific you can ask me for the translation. :)

3) why destilled water? Either use tab or bottled water. Not sure if destilled water is good for them or not.

4) Should be no problem if they are all in the fridge.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

JoeHostile1

Re: New ant keeper: questions about handling diapause

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 am

PaxxMantid wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:39 pm
Hi all -

I am a new antkeeper getting ready to hibernate my colonies, which consist of:

Lasius Niger with brood, in a test tube
Lasius Niger, with brood and about 10 workers in a test tube
Tetramoriam Caspicus, with brood and about 20 workers in a founding formicarium.
Camponotus pennsylvanicus. with brood and 4 workers in a founding formicarium.

My questions are about how to care for them during diapause.

(1) I purchased a wine cooler which keeps a steady temp of 46 degrees F or 7.7 degrees c. I am using it for mantis feeders but have plenty of room to hibernate the colonies in there. Would this work well?

(2) Is it correct that they just need sugars during diapause, no proteins? I've also been told they only need water during diapause, so wanted to ask here.

(3) Am I correct in assuming that the test tubes (20mm, newly filled with distilled water) will last until the spring?

(4) I am also going overseas for 3 weeks in December. So, it would be great if I could figure out a way to go 3 weeks without checking on them. Possible?

Ok, I know that's a lot of questions but any help much appreciated.
thanks! :D

thanks!!
Hey I wouldn’t use distilled water. Distilled water doesn’t contain any natural minerals found in normal water. Ants may need these minerals to survive. I understand if you don’t want to use tap water as that contains added chemicals (that are safe to drink) such as fluoride ect. But in that case you should be using spring water which still has the minerals naturally found in water without it being chemically treated like tap water.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA