Camponotus larvae not pupating?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Camponotus larvae not pupating?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:05 am

Hi all,

I have a strange situation with my Camponotus novaeboracensis colony (caught June 2017, still in a test-tube setup that's attached to a test-tube portal for feeding.) The queen had about 12 workers at the beginning of the summer and laid a good-sized batch of eggs around the beginning of August. They've clearly hatched into larvae but they still haven't pupated! The ants still seem to be tending them - they haven't put them in the garbage pile and they occasionally move them from one place to another - but I'm surprised that they don't seem to be continuing to develop, and I'm concerned that the workers the queen currently has will die before a new batch of workers is ready to help support her.

They have access to watch through a second test tube attached to the portal, as well as in their original tube (where the water has gotten pretty dirty!) and I feed them regularly with a little bit of apple, which they seem to love, and with small amounts of chopped mealworm.

Has anyone run into such a long development period for these ants before? Any advice to offer other than to stay the course?

UnrealSparks

Re: Camponotus larvae not pupating?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:26 am

One of my Lasius Niger and Lasius Emarginatus queen are in the exact same situation. They laid eggs in August and since then they stopped at the larval stage.

What I think is going on is that they may have started preparing earlier for hibernation, blocking their brood development to get ready for it. I'm trying to hibernate them these days and I'll see how it goes in spring.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

KHandcock

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Hmm, interesting. They do seem relatively inactive, like they did last winter... maybe they just jumped the gun! Hopefully my lovely ladies will be all right and get back in business next spring. Thanks!

UnrealSparks

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 am

No problem, but keep in mind that's the only possible thing that came to my mind, so you can't be 100% sure about what caused them to behave like that.

I also have Camponotus (Barbaricus) but they've been inactive only in the past month or so, which I think it's pretty normal. I'll start to hibernate them this week until March in my garage at 15°C.

How's been the weather in your city in the past months? Could that also have made them decide to slow down?
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus