M. Orientalis blocks off entrances to nest

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JoeHostile1

Re: M. Orientalis blocks off entrances to nest

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

It could be any of those things you mentioned except for spite. Probably just a natural behaviour that they block off the nest entrance from predators when they don’t have immediate foraging plans. Other reasons that I can think of that you didn’t mention is maybe they blocked it off to prevent air currents from entering the nest. Or they feel the opening was too large.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:29 am

Hello there.

I know that messor barbarus colonies haven't got but entrances so they prefer to have a small entrance. They probably think your's is much to big. I don't know if Orientalis does the same but it probably is similar to that behaviour. They might not hibernate but perhaps that's their natural behaviour.

Like they needed food so they went to find some. They found food and got it back to the colony. They then stocked up and found they got plenty so they will probably need no more foraging for now and can focus to care for their eggs larvae and puppae. Oh and of course for their royalty. :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:29 pm

teddyroskvist wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Hi

I have a Messor Orentalis colony with 20-30 workers in a sand/loam nest connected to outworld.

The have recently discovered the outworld, and been foraging a lot in there.
Then the past 3-4 days, activity has been reduced and today they are working on blocking off the entrance

I have read that this is normal when preparing for hibernation, but this genus should not hibernate..

Do any have any proposals to why.
Humidity, Temperature, time of year, plenty food storage or just to spite me :twisted:

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Teddy
Sometimes small colonies prefer to have a more concealed enclosure.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25