Am I doing something wrong?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

BuckeyeAntLover

Am I doing something wrong?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:09 am

Hoping someone can shed some light on to these 2 issues. Recently I've noticed a lot more dead ants in my 3 colonies. One is a Formica that I caught a year ago, and the other 2 are camponotus that I caught this spring. Do you think they are the 1st workers dying at the end of the season? The Formica colony did grow quite a bit over the summer. The 2nd issue is with feeding. I've tried small crickets, pieces of chicken\turkey, boiled\ scrambled egg. They do eat some honey. But I can't ever tell if they're eating protein. I'm worried they won't get enough before hibernation. Any suggestions?

AntsDakota

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

BuckeyeAntLover wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:09 am
Hoping someone can shed some light on to these 2 issues. Recently I've noticed a lot more dead ants in my 3 colonies. One is a Formica that I caught a year ago, and the other 2 are camponotus that I caught this spring. Do you think they are the 1st workers dying at the end of the season? The Formica colony did grow quite a bit over the summer. The 2nd issue is with feeding. I've tried small crickets, pieces of chicken\turkey, boiled\ scrambled egg. They do eat some honey. But I can't ever tell if they're eating protein. I'm worried they won't get enough before hibernation. Any suggestions?
The workers are probably dying due to old age. Not all ants like table meat, so it is best to feed them insects like meal worms, super worms, cockroaches, fruit flies, etc.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25