Hibernation Advice Needed! L. neglectus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsIkhlef

Hibernation Advice Needed! L. neglectus

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:08 am

Hello!
Here in Sweden Winter is approaching rapidly! but one of my colonies, My Lasius neglectus colony, doesn't seem to be preparing at all!
My Lasius niger colony has stopped producing eggs,
So this gives me the impression that they're preparing, but my L. neglectus are still producing eggs at rapid pastes,
And so i wondered if someone had any clues to why they would still continue to behave like this?!
Now it's worth mentioning that L. nglectus isn't present in Sweden as i pulled a wild card taking this queen home to Sweden from S. France as it was my first queen!
So maybe someone have some advice or idea, maybe even L. neglectus keepers themselves?

Thank you for Your Time!
/Milan
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

AntsDakota

Re: Hibernation Advice Needed! L. neglectus

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm

AntsIkhlef wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:08 am
Hello!
Here in Sweden Winter is approaching rapidly! but one of my colonies, My Lasius neglectus colony, doesn't seem to be preparing at all!
My Lasius niger colony has stopped producing eggs,
So this gives me the impression that they're preparing, but my L. neglectus are still producing eggs at rapid pastes,
And so i wondered if someone had any clues to why they would still continue to behave like this?!
Now it's worth mentioning that L. nglectus isn't present in Sweden as i pulled a wild card taking this queen home to Sweden from S. France as it was my first queen!
So maybe someone have some advice or idea, maybe even L. neglectus keepers themselves?

Thank you for Your Time!
/Milan
If they seem ok with not hibernating, keep them awake! It could be that hibernation will kill them. I would assume a colony from southern France may or may not hibernate, depending on if the ground freezes in winter.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25