Camponotus Setup: Do I need test tubes in this Vivarium?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

23brendan

Camponotus Setup: Do I need test tubes in this Vivarium?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 pm

I set up a 10 gal aquarium as a vivarium for a mature Camponotus colony. I am a novice ant-keeper, but a quick learner. I set up a small water reservoir in the front right corner (I've set up vivariums before, so no need to worry about there being something wrong with the aesthetic or mechanical aspects of it. It's just formicariums I'm new to), and I'm wondering if I need any water test tubes in the tank as well. I included some pictures for context. Also, any tips on feeding?

This one is the most helpful image:
The colony lives inside the log depicted in the back of the vivarium. The water looks a little murky in this shot, but there are no harmful substances in it. Also, all the plant life, ants, and substrate is locally sourced, so no worry there. Any suggestions are helpful, as I am new to the hobby. I actually discovered this colony completely by accident!

AntsDakota

Re: Camponotus Setup: Do I need test tubes in this Vivarium?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm

No, you don't need test tubes in a natural setup. And by the way, it's beautiful.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25