Getting an ant colony out of a pot

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AdamKnapp

Getting an ant colony out of a pot

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Hey so I recently purchased a plant from my local nursery. I put it in my room and was surprised to find its soil teeming with life. It is full of millipedes, spring tails, and an ant colony. I think its a pheidoli colony with very small workers. I was wondering if there was any way to move them into a more desirable place. I think the colony is just too big for a test tube set up but too small for an AntsCanada formicarium.

PS it has majors

Thanks!

AntsDakota

Re: Getting an ant colony out of a pot

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:24 am

AdamKnapp wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 pm
Hey so I recently purchased a plant from my local nursery. I put it in my room and was surprised to find its soil teeming with life. It is full of millipedes, spring tails, and an ant colony. I think its a pheidoli colony with very small workers. I was wondering if there was any way to move them into a more desirable place. I think the colony is just too big for a test tube set up but too small for an AntsCanada formicarium.

PS it has majors

Thanks!
Simply don't water the pot and have your nest near the pot. The ants will move into the more moist nest and out of the pot.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25