Can ants breathe when locked in a fridge or wine cooler?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

PAants

Can ants breathe when locked in a fridge or wine cooler?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Just what the title says. I have a wine cooler I'm planning to use to hibernate my ants, but I'm worried about how well they'll breathe inside. Do I need to open the door periodically to let in air, or should they be all right?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Can ants breathe when locked in a fridge or wine cooler?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:11 am

I think this will depend on multiple factors. How big the colonies and the cooler are. Which temperature you use to hibernate them. If they got thousands of workers than it would be a good idea to at least check perhaps once a week on them depending on the size of the winecooler.
I think it's best to check on the colonies just once a week in general. Like checking for mold and such. The lower temperatures will slow down their grow and metabolism anyway so they don't need any additional food except perhaps for a nice little feast before their hibernation.
The colony will be basicly at a stop during that period and in case they have a little plant inside their setup they won't need additional fresh air although it would just be nice in general to have a quick check once a week. Just to make sure. :P
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

PAants

Re: Can ants breathe when locked in a fridge or wine cooler?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:03 pm

It's just eight queens now, still in individual test tube setups. I'm given to understand Crematogaster won't produce any brood until after hibernation, because of how late in the year their nuptial flight is. I'm taking it from what you said this shouldn't be an issue for such a small number, then?