Formica ants in class

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AdamKnapp

Formica ants in class

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 pm

I offered to get and take care of an ant colony for my biology teacher. So I bought a formica subsericea colony. But I could use some help on caring for them.
1. When I got the colony, it was 9 workers strong and no brood (I think they ate it) is there any way to help increase their egg production?
2. How should I go about heating them (they are currently in a size 2 AntsAustralia ytong nest)?
3. Is it safe to not cover the nest in dark but instead covering it with a red gel filter?
4. are they very sensitive to vibrations because they will be next to a bearded dragon?
5. Can I feed them phoenix worms?
6. just any tips on how to take care of formica subsericea (I only have experience with c castaneus and lasius neoniger).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Batspiderfish

Re: Formica ants in class

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Formica do not keep brood over the winter. There won't be any eggs until next spring. Ants typically do not require heating.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.