How long can I keep a queen?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

HarioI

How long can I keep a queen?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:48 am

How long can you keep a queen before getting her set up in a test tube? I'm currently visiting a friends cottage and realized after I got here that it would be a good place to look for some queens after the rain we got in my area today, but I don't have any test tubes with me to put them in. It will be easy enough to find some basic containers to hold any in but I'll be here for 2 more days. Is it possible to keep them in those containers, should I find any, and tube them when I get back? Would I need to feed them?

Bierschneeman

Re: How long can I keep a queen?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:39 am

give her a damp cotton ball so she has access to water without drowning danger. (you will probably notice her latch on an never let go, it might dry up, snd you will need to add another.)

provide her with air

she should be fine, if she dies, it will likely be because of stress, this is a stressful setup especially when you move her to the permanent home.

I take it there might be some travel too, very stressful.

Just note, If you are in the USA, and cross state borders with a queen, thats a broken law.

if you cross ecological regions (like in VA, tidewater, to piedmont, or to blue ridge, or to Shenandoah valley ) , thats potentially devastating to the environment if they ever accidentally escape.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

HarioI

Re: How long can I keep a queen?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am

Bierschneeman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:39 am
give her a damp cotton ball so she has access to water without drowning danger. (you will probably notice her latch on an never let go, it might dry up, snd you will need to add another.)

provide her with air

she should be fine, if she dies, it will likely be because of stress, this is a stressful setup especially when you move her to the permanent home.

I take it there might be some travel too, very stressful.

Just note, If you are in the USA, and cross state borders with a queen, thats a broken law.

if you cross ecological regions (like in VA, tidewater, to piedmont, or to blue ridge, or to Shenandoah valley ) , thats potentially devastating to the environment if they ever accidentally escape.
That you very much for the informative answer, the is some travelling involved but all within my province and not even outside of my region.

I very much want to try getting a colony going this year and this will probably be my last chance due to where I live (Not a ton of nature around) I'll do everything within my power to make it as stress free as possible :)