Tapinoma Melanocephalum

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AlohaAnts

Tapinoma Melanocephalum

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 am

Hi everyone. I’m pretty new to the ant keeping world. I got my Ghost Ant queen from a friend before we even knew she was pregnant.

Currently in a test tube hooked up to the formacarium and outworld. She’s a very stubborn ant. I’ve been trying to get her to move for about 2 months already as she has 50+ workers. Anyone know how to expedite the process? I’ve tried light and I’m hesitant to use any type of heat as these ants are very tiny and I’m afraid any temperature change would affect them too rapidly. Also, they’re quite mischevious... they’ve started to burrow through the cotton dam separating the water from them and I don’t know if it’ll leak soon. I’ve tilted the test tube so if it does leak, it won’t be a biblical flood for these tiny ants. I’ll post pictures if anyone’s interested. They have green butts currently as I dyed their honey green to see if they were all eating okay.

JoeHostile1

Re: Tapinoma Melanocephalum

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 am

You’ve used light and you don’t want to use heat. Light and heat are the only way to get them to move immediately besides just dumping them out of the test tube.

Normally I would say just leave the test tube hooked up to the formicarium and they will eventually move. But if they are starting to dig into the cotton and they are tiny they could all easily drown in a tiny amount of water. You’d be surprised how dumb ants are when it comes to water. So I would use heat and make them move if it was my colony.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA