How to approach the winter

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nolan1

How to approach the winter

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently keeping a brand new colony, in southwest ohio. I have about 8 workers and when they first emerged I gave them a couple drops of honey over a few weeks and attempted to give them a little bit more, it seems like they have stopped being interested in the honey and I am curious if they are preparing to go into hibernation. If so, how do I approach dealing with them? Or am I just doing something wrong? this is my first colony so im not really sure how much they are supposed to be eating, or what they need at this stage in the colony's life.

Thanks!
Formica subsericea newbie
1 Colony founded with 8 workers! :D

Boomdale

Re: How to approach the winter

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm

So as long as the food source is available around he clock, they could be eating when you’re not watching. I worry about mine as well for the same reasons but ants usually leave the nest to forage and with number of workers so low, they don’t have to come out often. Depending on your setup they might not have that much to expend energy on as well if it has no digging medium. I always have food out for my colony so it’s more of a treat for me when they are actually out running around but it’s more rare as the colony is still tiny.
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta