odontomachus help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ToxicAnter

odontomachus help

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 am

yeah i caught a odontomachus queen about a week back and i put her in a test tube and removed the cotton and placed her in the outworld the thing is i have not seen her eat at all for the past week i first tried hooney but no luck then a piece of raw chicken dipped in honey no luck and then i tried feeding freshly killed woodlice still no luck i dont know what to do because i live in sri lanka and i cant buy mealworms or crickets so i have nothing to feed today i want to try a piece of mango but can you suggest anything and i have never seen her leave the test tube i set up the test tube with some sand in it already and ive kept it humid and all of that but i have not seen her leave or eat a single thing are there any species that are fully cluastral if not please give me some suggesstions on what to do because she doesnt leave the test tube i cant feed her anything too because she doesnt come out at all so please help me. :?:

StormDancer

Re: odontomachus help

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:29 pm

There's a large possibility she is eating and you don't see her doing so. Just provide a sugar source constantly and small insects or insect parts to her once a day. Mine really liked termites.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

ToxicAnter

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes tat may be true but now theres a new problem the queen dragged a woodlice into the test tube and left it there and now its growing moldy so should i try and transfer her to a new test tube by attaching another test tube to the old one or just leave her be?

StormDancer

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Leave her be would be my advice and just provide a new tuve that's covered close to her current tube. She will move if she feels the need.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

fire309

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

New to ant keeping, and seen you was in New Mexico. Any help is appreciated.