Is it too late to start hunting for a queen and start a colony?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

HarioI

Is it too late to start hunting for a queen and start a colony?

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to ant keeping (Hope this is the right place on here to post this), I only really learnt about it in the last week but have done some extensive research on the subject since it's become so fascinating to me. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and was planning to spend some time searching for Lasius and Crematogaster queens since they have their nuptial flights around this time as far as my own personal research and the AntsCanada youtube channel has told me, but I also know that due to the temperate climate most if not all ant species here hibernate. So as the Subject line says, is it too late in the year to try to start a colony?

JoeHostile1

Re: Is it too late to start hunting for a queen and start a colony?

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:33 am

It’s not too late. Lasius Neoniger can be Caught pretty much any day now. I saw some around sept, 30 last year in Ontario.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

DontSquishTheAnt

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 am

HarioI wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:43 pm
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to ant keeping (Hope this is the right place on here to post this), I only really learnt about it in the last week but have done some extensive research on the subject since it's become so fascinating to me. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and was planning to spend some time searching for Lasius and Crematogaster queens since they have their nuptial flights around this time as far as my own personal research and the AntsCanada youtube channel has told me, but I also know that due to the temperate climate most if not all ant species here hibernate. So as the Subject line says, is it too late in the year to try to start a colony?
It isn't too late, I caught 5 Crematogaster queens and 1 Solenopsis molesta queen last week, though I'm in Connecticut, a state near New York. Just make sure you're looking after it rains, between 11:00 and 15:00.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

HarioI

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am

DontSquishTheAnt wrote:

It isn't too late, I caught 5 Crematogaster queens and 1 Solenopsis molesta queen last week, though I'm in Connecticut, a state near New York. Just make sure you're looking after it rains, between 11:00 and 15:00.
What about the hibernation period? If I caught them now would I need learn how to store them and wait until next year?

DontSquishTheAnt

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:43 pm

HarioI wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am
DontSquishTheAnt wrote:

What about the hibernation period? If I caught them now would I need learn how to store them and wait until next year?
Yes, you would, unfortunately.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24