Test Tubed Queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

runningO

Test Tubed Queen

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:52 pm

The queen that I caught stays on the dry side of the test tube most of the time, next to the cotton ball near the air. Is this supposed to happen? Thanks

Boomdale

Re: Test Tubed Queen

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm

It all depends on what type of queen she is and what her preferred humidity levels are. Essentially it’s like how you regulate the temperature in your house except she just moves back and forth. I know Camponotus prefer a dryer nest as compared to other species. Don’t worry about changing your setup.

Most of my queens tended to start near the enterance when I first put them in the setup, I assume they can feel microwinds or know that’s where the air is coming from so outside is this way. After awhile, my fertilized queens have all settled down to the water side and setup shop. All of the unfertilized queens have all stayed near the front for the most part and died.

Also if she is just relaxing and not freaking out, in my experience this shows she’s ready to lay eggs and is just relaxing before the labor. My Crematogaster has taken the longest to finally start the egg laying at about 5 days. Try and relax and check back in a week.
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta