Queen Extracting

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jkorgz

Queen Extracting

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 pm

I recently extracted a queen Camponotus Pen. From a smaller colony. which I then placed into a setup from their natural surroundings after a period of about 2 days which to my surprise she had laid eggs and they were being managed by the workers I had captured with her. However the ants seem to be dying off perhaps I too early put her into a larger set up. Should I extract the queen, the few remaining workers, and the brood and place them into a test tube setup to grow?

AdamKnapp

Re: Queen Extracting

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 pm

They probably couldn't handle the move. It's probably too late to move her again so just keep her in the set up. Just make sure to stress her out as little as you can. The best way to do this is by checking her at most weekly, and when you check her, do it in the dark with a red flashlight. Also how can you see her? Is it a naturalistic setup? If so did you make her a founding chamber? Sorry for responding so late.

Best wishes

AntsDakota

Re: Queen Extracting

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 am

Perhaps they dug up against the glass?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25